Ask AU: Should the SG comptroller and secretary be appointed positions?

image “I don’t think anyone at AU is qualified enough to make that big of a decision. I know that AU is a very politically active school, but I don’t think appointed positions would go over very well with the students.” Chelsea Spichs, CAS/ SIS junior

image “I mean, yeah, it could be beneficial because not many people vote either way, probably because it’s an SG thing, but I feel like it should still be put up to a vote.” Joey Catania, SPA sophomore

image “I think it might [prevent problems in the future] because to be appointed, whoever appointed you has to know your history and how you work with SG.” Jenna Trimboli, CAS junior

image “[The students] already voted for the people that they want. The Student Government may be able to appoint someone more qualified, but at the same time, I don’t know that students should be denied the right to vote.” Carter Gibson, SOC/KSB sophomore

image “If something like [Matt Handverger’s impeachment charges] happened again, the students would have less of an ability to do anything about it. If [the office of comptroller is] an appointed position, they would not be held accountable to the student body.” Natalie Foglia, SPA senior

image “If Student Government positions are not elected positions, they might as well not even have Student Government. It raises the issue of favoritism. Candidates need to relate to their peers.” Colin Boese-Meddings, SPA junior