Awards for diamond play

With the postseason over and free agency just getting underway, it's time for Major League Baseball to give out their annual awards. So, who won and who should have won the awards?

MANAGER OF THE YEAR

The winner of the American League Manager of the Year award went to Tampa Bay Rays Manager Joe Maddon. He was the obvious choice for this award because he helped lead the perennial losers to winning one of the best divisions in the league, the AL East. It is hard to argue for anyone other than Maddon to win this award, however the NL winner may draw a few complaints.

The National League Manager of the Year was Chicago Cubs Manager Lou Piniella, who led his team to the best record in the league. Some (Phillies fans) may wonder about why Philadelphia Manager Jerry Manuel did not win. The answer is simple: voting for the awards came before the postseason, so a World Series win does not guarantee any awards.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

These awards were locks for the winners in both leagues.

The AL choice for ROY of was Rays third-baseman Evan Longoria. The rookie was able to put up stellar numbers (.272 batting average, 27 home runs, 82 RBIs) despite being out of play for a month with a wrist injury.

The Chicago Cubs catcher Geovany Soto also made the choice easy for voters by putting up solid numbers from behind the plate. The 25-year-old Puerto Rican native had a .285 batting average, 23 home runs and 86 RBI's in '08. Soto also started the All-Star Game for the National League.

CY YOUNG AWARD

The American honor went the Indians Cliff Lee, who had one of the best years in recent memory. There was no beating Lee this year, seeing as he went 22-3 with a 2.54 ERA. There is not likely a hitter in the American League who would disagree with this award for Lee.

The National League Cy Young went to young San Francisco Giants hurler, Tim Lincecum. The hard-throwing stick figure was the league leader in strikeouts (265) and second in the league in wins (18) and ERA (2.62).

There is an argument to be made for another pitcher who sits at the other end of the scale, CC Sabathia, who besides having 120 pounds on Lincecum also played a more important role to his team. Sabathia was able to carry the Brewers on his shoulders to the playoffs. As a Brewer, Sabathia went 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA. So maybe if Sabathia got to Milwaukee a bit earlier in the year he may have had a chance at the award for the second straight year.

MVP

The American League Most Valuable Player is Boston Red Sox second-baseman Dustin Pedroia. While Pedroia did not put up the big home run numbers people like to see of MVPs, he was able to carry the Red Sox while David Ortiz was injured and while Manny was being Manny. He was tied for the AL lead in hits (213), was the leader in doubles (54), and second in the AL in batting average at .326.

The winner from the National League is Albert Pujols because he continues to be one of the biggest offensive forces in baseball. Pujols was second in the NL with a .357 batting average, and he came in fourth in home runs and RBI's. This is Pujols' second career MVP award and likely not his last since he is one of the top offensive forces in baseball.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.