Letter to the editor: College Dems are no good

Dear Editors,

It was with great joy that I read today's article about the AU Club Council funding allocations. As long as I can remember, the College Republicans and the College Democrats have received the same amount of funding, in an attempt to ostensibly promote fairness. However, it was the College Republicans that have, over the past two years, consistently had top-notch events and speakers, with the College Democrats simply failing to show either the initiative or the effort to justify the thousands of dollars that they received annually from the AUCC. I am thrilled that the AUCC was able to look objectively at the hard work the AUCRs have done over the past couple of years and subsequently gave them more funding than the College Democrats. It has, actually, been a great disservice to the large numbers of Democrats here on campus that the Dems have generally failed to hold many events or speakers.

I was also ecstatic to see that the National Council on Organized Resistance (NCOR) did not receive any funding from the AUCC. It was, quite frankly, downright insulting that this group was awarded one of the highest AUCC funding amounts year after year, despite very few AU students being a part of their annual conference, their only event. Also, it was rather unsettling to have our student activity money funding a group that had sponsored everything from 9/11 conspiracy theory groups to speakers who told students how to make inexpensive bombs. I am thankful that the AUCC awarded money to more legitimate groups this year, rather than bowing to the wishes of a few extreme individuals that seemed to always take over the AUCC. Thank you, members of the council, for being fair, reasonable and rational in your funding allocations this year.

Caleb Enerson Senior, School of Public Affairs and College of Arts and Sciences