Can you be pro-life and pro-Obama?

There are many times at church when my fellow churchgoers will ask me: "How could a Christian like you support pro-abortion candidate like Obama?" While such criticism would normally prompt me to defend Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's position as best as I could, the fact remains that there are issues on which we disagree. I have indeed asked several times to myself, "How do I reconcile my support for Obama with the disagreements I have with him on issues that I sincerely care about?"

I believe Obama is a gifted leader - one who, like the rising sun, has much potential and vision to offer as a leader. Still, my trust in Obama's leadership does not mean I believe he is a panacea for all the problems in the world. In fact, Obama is capable of shortcomings and errors like any other candidate. As one of Obama's supporters, I have the responsibility to continuously keep him dedicated to his slogan, "Change that we can believe in" - a change that honors the dignity of humankind.

I am a pro-life Democrat and I pray for a day when this party will be committed to ending one of the greatest social tragedies committed in this country. I am openly critical of the normally humanitarian Democratic Party's lukewarm stance on the promotion of solutions that are both pro-woman and pro-infant. While I believe Obama is wrong to unconditionally support all aspects of Roe v. Wade, he could eventually help promote a culture of life.

I cannot agree with so many in the pro-life community who refuse to work with or support Obama solely because of his views on abortion. Frankly, very few political leaders in the world are perfectly consistent in their pursuit of the ethical culture of life. Rather than focus on a single issue or search for an all-encompassing pro-life champion, I believe the pro-life community at large should challenge our political leaders to contribute to all aspects of the culture of life - from conception to natural death. Even if Obama does not introduce initiatives in championing anti-abortion legislations, I believe he could, as president, make advancements in promoting the dignity of human life throughout our society.

As a believer in universal healthcare, Obama can and should introduce initiatives to help cure HIV/AIDS and other epidemics around the world. As the promoter of social justice, Obama can and should take the initiative in helping many who are trapped in the cycle of drug trafficking, poverty and crime. As the leader of the free world, Obama can and take the initiative to stand for millions whose lives are threatened by genocide and persecution. As the defender of U.S. security, Obama can and should show leadership in protecting the people from those who are committed to violence, as well as protecting the soldiers from wars the United States need not fight. Even on the issue of abortion, I believe a President Obama could and should take the moral initiative to eliminate the need for abortion, giving woman the chance to make the "choice for life."

I respect the pro-life community who are passionate for millions of infants who never get a chance to see the daylight before they are aborted. Yet I also know even more people here in this world who are alive and do not live a life worthy of human dignity; people who are perpetually threatened with the loss of what they hold onto. Who will be their deliverer? If a President Obama could save millions of people in the United States and abroad from culture of death and depravity, then I believe he will have made immense accomplishment for pro-life values. We may disagree on the right means to end abortion, but I support Obama because I believe that if he becomes president, he can and will play a leadership role in building a more humane and life-valued society.

Jong Eun Lee is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and a liberal columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.