GIVING BACK TO GOP - AU alumnus Ira Jersey describes the $5,000 scholarship he is offering to one College Republican for the first time. The scholarship is intended to allow the recipient to focus on volunteering for conservative causes. The student who r

College Republicans offer scholarship

AU alum to grant aid to GOP student

The AU College Republicans will begin to offer the $5,000 Ira Jersey College Republican Scholarship at the end of this semester, club President Will Haun announced Tuesday.

Students will need to hold a 3.2 grade point average, complete a minimum of 30 credit hours per academic year and maintain an active role in AU's College Republicans chapter in order to be eligible for the scholarship, said Jersey, a 1993 AU graduate and former member of the chapter.

For now, the scholarship is only set for 2008. The chapter will continue to work to sustain the scholarship over the coming years, but does not currently have a plan in place, Haun said.

Haun said he first heard last fall that Jersey, director of fixed income research at Credit Suisse Securities and a global finance professor at The New School, was interested in giving back to the club. Jersey worked with a club adviser to decide how to allocate the donation. In total, Jersey donated $5,000 for the scholarship.

The scholarship is a chance to help an active member and to make it easier for members to focus more time on volunteering, Jersey said.

"When I was here, I delivered for Pizza Movers," he said. "If I didn't have to do that two days a week, I could have done more with the College Republicans, Student Government and volunteering."

A scholarship was the best way to submit something directly to the club, according to club Executive Director Rich Myslynski.

"It is fortunate that a young alum is willing to dig deep and make such a generous gesture," Vice President for Campus Life Gail Hansen said.

Activism and leadership are among the values of the club and part of what makes a member of "good standing," Haun said.

The challenging environment at AU drives club members' activism and encourages people to step up to leadership positions. The sharing of ideas is important, though individuals are often persecuted for having beliefs different from the vocal group, Jersey said.

Activism does not end at meetings, according to Haun.

"It is a daily decision to stand up for CR values," he said.

Haun said he believes the scholarship will increase club participation. Currently, there are 250 general members, 107 dues-paying members and 70 College Republicans members who are eligible for the scholarship. General members are the people who have not paid club dues, while dues-paying members have. The 70 members considered to be in "good standing" have paid club dues and attended three or more College Republicans events.

Meaghan Archer, a freshman in the School of International Service, said she heard about the scholarship through an e-mail and plans to apply next year. Archer said she didn't participate as much in the past, but said the scholarship acts as a strong incentive.

Jersey said he encouraged students to get involved beyond the College Republicans - he was an active member in the Young Republicans at age 16. Above all, the most important aspect is to give back to the community through volunteerism, he said.

"Because our time with College Republicans is special to us, what you get out of it is what you put in," Jersey said.

The 70 candidates considered to be in "good standing" received the application through e-mail. The application is also available on the club's Web site. Jersey, a representative from the club's executive board and the Student Activities development office will work together as a selection committee to choose the candidate, Myslynski said.