Class launches campaign for HPV awareness

People should be able to speak out openly about sexually transmitted infections without the current stigma that is associated with them, according Giovanna Chesler, a School of Communication professor who helped create a Web site where people who have contracted STIs can submit their stories.

Victims of the Human Papilloma Virus and other sexually transmitted infections can submit their stories through "Tune in HPV," a Web site Chesler and her "Communication and Social Change" class created. The Web site is part of a larger media campaign to enable people to speak openly about STIs, removing the current stigma associated with them, Chesler said.

"It's an innovative approach to address sexual health issues," Chesler said.

She said she came up with the idea after going through surgery for HPV, which landed her in bed for six weeks. She spent this time chronicling her experiences through a series of YouTube videos from her bed.

Chesler said she got the idea to create a social network about sexual issues from the responses she received from other HPV sufferers.

Anyone can send their stories in to "Tune in HPV." The students then create short, entertaining and informational movies from them, according to Brittany Aubin, a senior in SOC who is taking the class and former assistant editorial page editor at The Eagle.

The purpose of the class is for students to learn about media campaigns, and each student plays his or her own unique role, according to Chesler.

Aubin said she is responsible for much of the writing as a member of the social marketing team.

"I'm the only journalism major in the class, so it makes sense," she said.

Other students are responsible for communicating with outside organizations to publicize the campaign. Another group of students created the Web site and others promote the individual stories. One group of students is responsible for creating the videos. The Web site lists the individual members of these groups.

"Tune in HPV" is partnered with the D.C. Department of Health, which has guided the class through the project, according to Chesler. The department donated 7,000 condoms, which the class passed out on D.C. streets last week. AU's Center for Social Media is also involved with the project, which Chesler said she plans to see through past this semester.

"This is just the beginning of a larger network," she said.

Since HPV and STIs affect both men and women, Chesler said it is important for people to be able to talk about it openly and without shame, bringing the problem into light for average people.