LEADING THE MARCH - Pamela Nadell, professor of history and Jewish studies, was a majorette in high school and used to twirl a baton.

CAS prof didn't plan for teaching career

Nadell spends free time at Va. theater

Professors 101 Pamela S. Nadell, Professor of History and Jewish Studies, College of Arts and Sciences

AW: Where did you grow up? PN: I grew up in New Jersey.

AW: What is your favorite way to relax after class? PN: I love to cook.

AW: What do you like to cook? PN: Dinner for my family. I cook all sorts of different kinds of foods.

AW: Besides cooking, do you have any other hobbies? PN: I play the piano. I take Pilates classes and I walk my dog.

AW: In what area of D.C. do you and your family live now? PN: We live in Rockville, [Md.].

AW: Where did you attend college? PN: I went to Douglass College, the women's division of Rutgers University, and I also spent a year at Hebrew University as an undergrad.

AW: What classes do you teach? PN: I teach a yearlong survey of Jewish civilization, and I teach the history of the Holocaust. I teach courses in my specialty, which is American Jewish history and American Jewish women's history, and those are in the history department.

AW: What is your favorite aspect of AU? PN: Oh, I love the students. I love teaching. Teaching is so much fun.

AW: What is your favorite thing to do in or around D.C.? PN: We really like to go to the theater. We have a subscription to the Signature Theatre in Arlington, which we really like.

AW: What is one thing your students or colleagues don't know about you? PN: I don't know, that I used to twirl a baton. I was a majorette in high school. I'm not sure I want to own up to it. But no, I do.

AW: Did you always want to be a professor? PN: I loved Jewish history. Did I always want to be a teacher? No, I didn't want to be a teacher because when I was growing up and I was in eighth grade and parents had meetings with the guidance counselors, and I was told I was really smart and I had two choices. I could be a teacher or a legal secretary because I was really smart. I knew I wanted to be a professor, but I didn't want to teach. I would have been a terrible junior high school teacher, just awful. It was before the women's movement really burst forth and where women could imagine other possibilities, so I knew I wanted to be a professor, but I didn't always want to be a teacher. I wanted the teaching part of being a professor but I also wanted the research and writing part, and the thinking part.