SPLASHIN' FOR SERVICE - Sigma Chi hosts a dunk tank fundraiser last September for its charities, which include the Children's Miracle Network.

AU Greeks defy stereotypical roles

Fraternity and sorority life often brings to mind stereotypical scenes reminiscent of the 1978 film "Animal House," complete with parties, alcohol, sex and mayhem. Yet according to Greeks and non-Greeks, this stereotype doesn't hold up at AU.

Veronica Torres, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs who serves on AU's Greek Life Public Relations Committee, said what AU fraternities and sororities lack in the "Animal House" aspect of Greek life they more than make up for in scholarship and community service.

"When I talk to my friends who go to Florida State, it's always, 'Oh I went to this party, I did this or I went to that party,'" Torres said. "There is more of a sense of scholarship and integrity [at AU]."

Fraternities and sororities at AU do a lot of fundraising, Torres said.

"There's constantly some sort of fundraiser going on or event that raises money for philanthropy," she said.

All of AU's Greek organizations are required to sponsor at least one community service project per semester, but many go beyond that obligation.

"The vast majority of chapters far exceed this requirement as well as the community service requirements of their respective national organizations," said Danny Kelley, AU's Greek life coordinator. "During [the] 2006 to 2007 [school year], [AU] Greeks raised over $60,000 for various philanthropic causes."

Paul Gottuso, a junior in the Kogod School of Business, joined Sigma Chi last fall and said he's had a less stereotypical Greek experience.

"Sigma Chi is not the typical Greek experience as to what most people think of in a fraternity," he said. "People can't see what goes on behind the scenes, which is really what a fraternity is all about."

Montana Graboyes, a sophomore in SIS, said AU Greeks she has met are not like those portrayed in "Animal House."

"Every person I've met that's in a fraternity or sorority, they've been completely nice and intelligent, and they defy the traditional stereotype," she said.

Torres said being involved in Greek life has been an important part of her college experience, and she still tears up when she sings her sorority song.

"I look around at this room full of girls, and yes, we've had our fights, yes, we've had our differences," she said. "However, at the end of the day, we're all [Chi Omegas], so we're all sisters, and that's like nothing else"