RAISING FUNDS - Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, speaks Wednesday night at a College Republicans' fundraiser. The Republican presidential hopeful raised many issues, including legalizing medicinal marijuana.

AU GOP brings Paul to fundraise

GOP presidential hopeful advocates small government

Presidential hopeful Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, advocated the virtues of what he called a "free society" during an event hosted by the AU College Republicans Wednesday night.

"Right now [there] is a society that has lost its faith, lost its confidence, about what a free society is all about," Paul said to a crowd of about 200. "[Some] believe that the government has to tell us what to do with our lives and to take care of us. I think virtue is more achievable in a free society than in an authoritarian society."

Paul bases his presidential campaign on advocating minimalist government. He spoke about ending things such as the war on drugs, the income tax, the welfare system and military intervention overseas.

AU CR SPEAKERS

SPEAKERS THUS FAR: Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform Former U.S. Attorney General Ed Meese Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. Ramesh Ponnuru, author of "The Party of Death: The Democrats, The Media, The Courts, and the Disregard for Human Life" Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas

COMING UP: Former Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Texas

SOURCE: AU College Republicans' Web site

"You have to assume personal responsibility for all of your actions whether they're your personal social actions or your economic actions, and that's what freedom is all about," Paul said. "Freedom works - it works fantastically. It is the free society that creates the greatest amount of wealth - it is the only system that has ever eradicated poverty and famine."

Throughout his presidential campaign, Paul has taken positions on issues such as the USA PATRIOT ACT and the war in Iraq that contradict the positions of other Republican candidates.

"I am absolutely convinced there is no need whatsoever to give up your liberties to be safe," Paul said, referring to the PATRIOT ACT, which is supported by most of the other Republican candidates.

Paul also made it clear he was opposed to the war in Iraq and any military action against Iran.

Yet Will Haun, president of the College Republicans, said he believes young Republicans are open to Paul's ideas.

"I think [Republicans] are willing to take a step back," Haun said. "They see that the movement is a little fractured. They want to have a conversation about conservatism, and [Paul] answered that call. Dr. Paul is for limited government ... he is for gun rights, against [immigration] amnesty, he's been consistently pro-life, he's against judicial activism. These views are not foreign to conservatism."

While Paul spent much of his speech decrying the perils of government intervention, both overseas and domestically, he was optimistic about the United States' young generation.

"Truly, a lot of young people are very interested in what we're saying" Paul said. "Maybe they like to be left alone like everybody else"