SG rejects AU's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy

Senators say impact of decision will be minimal for students

In a decision made last Sunday, the Student Government rejected AU's policy that allows the military to recruit on campus. The controversy is centered on the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which prohibits gay enlistees from disclosing their sexual orientation.

The rejection of the university's policy by the SG means very little for students, said Charlie Biscotto, Class of 2008 senator, chairman of the SG's committee on university policy and a junior in the School of Public Affairs.

"The university won't listen to the SG's stance opposing military recruiters because the university doesn't want to implode," Biscotto said.

Those who opposed the university's stance found it to be a violation of AU's nondiscrimination policy, according to Biscotto.

The policy states that "the District of Columbia Human Rights Ordinance and American University policy expressly prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. Although we ascribe to the university's policies on nondiscrimination, we are compelled by law (The Solomon Amendment) to allow the U.S. military to recruit on campus or risk the loss of federal student financial aid and funding."

"[Members of the Senate] said, essentially, that it was our duty as student leaders to take a strong stance against discrimination," Biscotto said.

KT Thirion, president of Queers and Allies and a junior in the School of Communication, said Queers and Allies has taken action against the university's policy in the past.

"Last fall [2005], Queers and Allies members stood outside the Career Fair and handed out information sheets about the Solomon Amendment and 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' and expressed concern about military recruiters being present due to the violation of AU's nondiscrimination policy," Thirion said.

The university would face consequences if it chose to disallow military recruiters on campus.

The Solomon Amendment, passed in 1996, states that federal funding will be blocked from any university that does not allow the military to recruit on its premises.

Some members of the SG understand the tension the Solomon Law creates, Biscotto said.

"Even the most fervent voices from that side of the argument [opposition] have said they don't want the SG to actually push for military recruiters to be banned from campus because of the incredible burden that would place on students and professors to find new sources of funding," Biscotto said in an e-mail.