Letter to the editor

I have never before felt embarrassed by my fellow American University students before reading the article on student-opinion of the new low-flow showerheads in the residence halls ("Showerheads prompt focus on student feedback," Feb. 22). But now, I can honestly say that I am ashamed to classify myself among them.

American University is taking what I view as a remarkable step toward sustainability by working with the USGBC to become a nationwide leader in environmental stewardship. By taking simple measures such as installing low-flow showerheads, we are making a tangible statement that we care about the impact we are making on this planet. For this effort, facilities management should be applauded.

Instead, however, the students have reacted selfishly and short-sightedly, claiming this "is a miscarriage of justice and a travesty." No. This is not a miscarriage of justice and a travesty. A miscarriage of justice is the hundreds of thousands of people in the developing world who lack basic water and sanitation. A travesty is the child who goes to sleep thirsty at night because his family can't afford water while we are washing it down the drains.

The new showerheads may be inconvenient, but most good deeds are. The student body shouldn't be complaining. They should be thankful that they live in a country where they can take daily hot showers at all, and they should be thankful that they go to a university that actually practices what it teaches, and tries to make the world a better place.

Facilities Management, you may be getting barraged by complaints, but I want you to know that at least one AU student thinks what you did was right.

Stephanie Laporte

Junior, School of International Service and College of Arts and Sciences