Letter to the editor

There are a few things that I would like to say about NCOR.

The first is that this is not a matter of diversity. If it were about diversity then the campus should be welcoming with open arms all on the political spectrum, even those on the far right. I, as a liberal, would think it only fair if we allow those on the extreme left to be paid $4,500 on our campus.

Secondly, John Goodman, vice chair of the AUCC, erred when he stated that NCOR is comparable to Phil Bender in terms of cost and clean up. Incorrect. Phil Bender is a student-focused event and fits entirely into the realm of reasonable spending. NCOR is not student-focused; it is of only one ideological strand that is based off campus.

Third, many students who have experienced NCOR are not against its mission. They are against being harassed by "guests" of the campus.

Fourth, I do not think AU - with schools that are focused on cooperation and service - should be represented by an organization that asserts resistance.

Being as it is too late in the semester to stop what has already moved forward, I would be willing to give NCOR one more chance to make amends with AU. Damage of $1,200 is not reasonable considering these are facilities used year-round by paying students.

I say to you, organizers, plan now to keep your groups in check. Warn your guests that they can think and act as they wish, but only to the confines of attendees and the conference.

If once again AU must play host to unruly and ungracious guests, I demand that all future funding by the AUCC cease and possibly barring the group from campus.

The rise in anger to NCOR should not be confused as it being sudden. This has been a simmering dislike that is finally claiming a voice against extremism.

David Blum

Senior, School of International Service