Campus calendar

Thursday, Nov. 30

Discussion with feminist artist Harmony Hammond 7-8:15 p.m., Katzen Arts Center, room 112

Harmony Hammond, considered a pioneer of the feminist art movement, is the author of the award-winning "Lesbian Art in America: A Contemporary History."

For more information, contact (202) 885-1680.

Dance Choreolab 7 p.m., Tenley Chapel Dance Studio

Watch faculty and student choreography in progress. The event includes dialogue with a panel of regionally, nationally and internationally known choreographers, including Vladimir Angelov, Rob Esposito, Maurice Johnson and Lora Ruttan.

For more information, contact (202) 885-3420.

Friday, Dec. 1

World AIDS Day 9 a.m.-noon

To commemorate World AIDS day and AU's Global AIDS Awareness Week, the Community Service Center is sponsoring a service project to prepare and deliver food to highlight the impact of HIV/AIDS in the D.C. community.

For more information, contact Tasha Daniels at volunteer@american.edu.

SLAM AIDS 7:30-10:30 p.m. Kay Chapel

SLAM AIDS is a visual event with art, music and spoken word. All proceeds from this event will go to a clinic in Uganda to supply patients with antiretroviral drugs.

For more information, contact as8505a@american.edu.

AU Chorus: On Freedom, Truth and Democracy Through Dec. 3 8 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center

The choral program will explore how composers have approached the broad theme of freedom. The program features music from the Revolutionary War as well as 20th century protest songs and calls for human rights from across the globe. Conducted by Daniel Abraham. Tickets are $5-$15, no charge for open dress rehearsal on Dec. 1.

For more information, contact (202) 885-1300.

"Merchant of Venice" Through Dec. 2 8 p.m., Tavern

The Rude Mechanicals present the "Merchant of Venice." It is a twisted tale of anti-Semitism, revenge, love and betrayal. Tickets cost $3 with an AU ID or $5.

For more information, contact Kate Molski at katie.molski@american.edu.

Saturday, Dec. 2

Ignacio Moreno on William Calfee 4 p.m., Studio Theatre, Katzen Arts Center

This lecture by art historian Ignacio Moreno is presented in conjunction with the AU Museum exhibition, "William Calfee and the Washington Modernists."

Artists' Reception 2-5 p.m., AU Museum, Katzen Arts Center

Celebrate the openings of "Gifts from the Katherine Dreier Estate," "William H. Calfee and the Washington Modernists," "High Times, Hard Times: New York Painting, 1967-75" and "21st century Ibero-American Art."

Monday, Dec. 4

Abensohn Lecture Series: "To Rebuild the Land" 9:55 a.m., Ward 3

The Center for Israel Studies and the Jewish Studies Program presents a lecture by visiting scholar Nicholas de Lange, professor at the University of Cambridge.

For more information, contact (202) 885-3780.

Holocaust Memory and Commemoration on Kibbutzim in Israel 2:10 p.m., Ward 3.

Visiting scholar Micha Balf, Israeli Shaliach to the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, presents "Holocaust Memory and Commemoration on Kibbutzim in Israel: The Voice of Communal Mourning." The lecture is presented by the Jewish Studies Program.

For more information, contact (202) 885-2446.

Women and Political Leadership Student Research Conference 5:30-8 p.m., Butler Board Room

Papers explore the roles of women state legislators, city council members, chiefs of staff, campaign managers and campaign consultants.

For more information, contact (202) 885-2903.

Tuesday, Dec. 5

Commemoration of the 100th Washington Asia Forum 2-5:30 p.m., SIS Lounge

Interim President Neil Kerwin, SIS Dean Louis Goodman and Vice President of International Affairs Robert Pastor will speak during the celebration of the 100th Washington Asia Forum. Minister Masafumi Ishii of the Japanese Embassy and Kent Calder of Johns Hopkins will deliver the keynote lectures.

For more information, contact Steve Morris at (202) 885-1760.

Screening: "Royal Kill" 3-5 p.m., Dunblane Building, Tenley Campus

"Royal Kill," featuring the late Pat Morita, was shot on the Tenley Campus last December. After the screening, the director will ask for feedback about the film.

For more information, contact Maralee Csellar at csellar@american.edu.

"Improving Education Through Youth Media" 6:30-7:30 p.m., SIS Lounge

Panelists will discuss the array of innovative media educational organizations use to empower young people, including film, photography, blogs and radio.

For more information, contact Leslie Colwell at (202) 641-0865.

Abensohn Lecture Series: "Ethnic Diversity in Israel" 8 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center

The Center for Israel Studies and the Jewish Studies Program present a lecture by Brown University's Calvin Goldscheider, who will discuss immigrants and their impact on the developing identity of Israelis.

Wednesday, Dec. 6

SIS Dean's International Forum Noon-1 p.m., SIS Lounge For more information, contact (202) 885-1600.

Economics Department Seminar Series 12:10-1:15 p.m., Roper Hall, room 101 Amos Golan of AU will discuss econometrics. For more information, contact (202) 885-3770.