Campus calendar

Thursday, Nov. 16

"Comparative Research on Environmental Politics: Experiences from the Field in East Asia and the EU" 12:45-2 p.m., Gray 130

Lecturer Miranda Schreurs is associate professor of government and affiliate professor of law at the University of Maryland. Sponsored by the School of International Service.

For more information, contact Stephen Silvia at ssilvia@american.edu.

"The Sanctuary Movement: Yesterday and Today" 6 p.m., Kay Spiritual Life Center lounge

Dinner and discussion features America Sosa, who will speak about her experiences with Dumbarton United Methodist Church, which gave her sanctuary in the 1980s from U.S. deportation policies. A $5 donation is suggested.

For more information, contact hospitality@aumethodists.org.

MST Information Session 7-8 p.m., outside Kogod room 118

Learn more about the master's of science in taxation program and the Kogod School of Business.

For more information, contact Sondra Smith at (202) 885-1913.

Pre-Holiday Wine Tasting and Silent Auction 7-9 p.m., president's house

The Friends of the AU Library and Interim President Neil Kerwin will host this fundraiser open to those 21 and older. A $50 donation is suggested. R.S.V.P. required by Nov. 8.

For more information, contact Carolyn Ramsden at (202) 885-3233.

KPU and AU's Finest Faculty Lecture Series Present Professor Jamie Raskin 5:00 p.m. Battelle-Tompkins atrium

The Kennedy Political Union and Finest Faculty Lecture Series present Washington College of Law professor and 2000 Scholar-Teacher of the Year Jamie Raskin. In addition to teaching classes in constitutional and international economic law, Raskin is also an active constitutional lawyer, bestselling author, voting rights advocate and the newly elected Maryland state senator.

Friday, Nov. 17

"Bringing Myth Back to the World: The Modern History of Theorizing about Myth" 2:30 p.m., Battelle-Tompkins atrium

This lecture by Robert Segal, professor of religious studies at the University of Aberdeen, is sponsored by the department of philosophy and religion and the department of public administration and policy.

For more information, contact Shelley Harshe at philrel@american.edu.

"Hip Hop Comes to AU" 7-9 p.m., Ward 2

Evening features a screening of "From Mambo to Hip Hop" and a monologue performance by Psalmeyene 24. Sarah Menke-Fish will moderate a discussion on hip-hop featuring AU professor William Smith.

For more information, contact Bettina Fisher at (202) 885-2074.

AU Symphony Orchestra Concert Through Nov. 19 8 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center

The group will perform modern American and European music by Copland, Ibert, Ives and Stravinsky, featuring soloist Julia Block, a winner of the 2006 AU Concerto and Aria Competition. Tickets are $5-$15 (no charge for tonight's open dress rehearsal).

For more information, contact (202) 885-1300.