Campus calendar

Thursday, Nov. 2

Table Talk Lunch Series: "Workplace Codes of Conduct: Are They Effective?" Noon, Kay Spiritual Life Center lounge

A buffet lunch will be provided. A $5 donation is requested from faculty and staff; lunch is free for students. R.S.V.P. required.

For more information, contact (202) 885-3321 or kslc@american.edu.

"Exposing Sexual Violence Behind Bars: The Implementation of the Prison Rape Elimination Act" Noon-1:20 p.m., WCL, room 601

T.J. Parsell, author of "Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison" and president of Stop Prisoner Rape, will discuss his indoctrination into a brutal, sexually charged prison culture. WCL professor Brenda Smith and Cynthia Totten, senior policy associate at Stop Prisoner Rape, will also speak. Pizza will be served.

For more information, contact (202) 274-4180.

Board of Trustees Town Hall Meeting 4:30 p.m., McDowell Formal Lounge

Members of the AU community are invited to the meeting, which will focus on the presidential search and other issues.

For more information, contact (202) 885-3461.

"Death on the Border: Mujeres de Juarez and the Wall" 5-8 p.m., WCL, room 603

As part of the Day of the Dead Celebration, speakers from the Washington Office on Latin America, the Mexican Solidarity Network and the Latin American Working Group will speak about the ongoing femicide in Ciudad Juarez, where over 400 women have been murdered since 1994 without criminal investigation.

For more information, contact Maria Lucero Ortiz at (310) 795-2202.

Moot Court Honor Society Oral Advocacy Workshop 8-10 p.m., WCL, room 603

This year's workshop will be conducted by Tom Goldstein, a WCL graduate who has argued 16 cases before the Supreme Court, winning four straight. During the workshop, Goldstein will provide insight into his preparation for an oral argument and offer suggestions on how to effectively argue before an appellate panel.

For more information, contact Molly Hostetler at (202) 436-1464.

Open Mic at the Davenport 8:30-10:30 p.m., Davenport Lounge

American Literary, AU's twice-yearly undergraduate and graduate creative journal, and AU's Independent Arts Collective will co-host a music and spoken word event open to the AU community.

For more information, contact AmLit at amlitmag@gmail.com.

Friday, Nov. 3

Center for Teaching Excellence Workshop Noon-1 p.m., Social Science Research Lab Faculty are invited to learn more about Adobe Creative Suite during this CTE workshop.

For more information, contact (202) 885-2117.

"Rights of and Duties to Children" 1-6 p.m., McDowell Formal Lounge

The McDowell Conference on Philosophy and Social Policy will explore the pedagogy of social justice, what adoption can teach us about children's rights, our duties and debts to children and more. Speakers include Jeffrey Reiman, AU professor of philosophy, and Charlotte Witt, professor of philosophy and humanities at the University of New Hampshire.

For more information, contact Shelley Harshe at (202) 885-2925.

Anthropology Film Festival: "Toxic Sludge is Good for You" 4 p.m., Battelle-Tompkins atrium

The series is sponsored by the department of anthropology.

For more information, contact ds3409a@american.edu.

"U.S. Broken Immigration Policy: What is Next?" 4:30-6 p.m., SIS lounge

Get the latest update on the immigration debate in Congress and learn about the challenges ahead. Speakers include Rep. Ana Sol Gutierrez of the Maryland House of Delegates and Frank Sharry, executive director of the National Immigration Forum. SIS Professor Robin Broad will moderate the discussion.

For more information, contact (202) 885-1657.

Yuliya Gorenman on piano 8 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center

Internationally acclaimed pianist and AU faculty member Yuliya Gorenman performs works by German masters, including two Beethoven sonatas. Tickets cost $5-$15.

For more information, contact (202) 885-1300.

Saturday, Nov. 4

AU Chamber Singers: Across Many Centuries Through Nov. 5 8 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center

Join the AU Chamber Singers for a performance of varied vocal chamber music from the Renaissance to present day. Conducted by Daniel Abraham. Tickets cost $5-$15.

Monday, Nov. 6

"Archaeology and the Bible: Where They Meet, Where They Don't and Why" 9:55-11:10 a.m., Ward 3

The Jewish Studies Program and the Center for Israel Studies host David Ilam, director of the Nelson Glueck School of Biblical Archaeology.

For more information, contact (202) 885-2446.

Iraqi Lecture Noon-1:30 p.m., SIS lounge

Bilal Wahab and Zina Abdul Latif, SIS Iraqi Fulbright Scholars, will speak about the situation in Iraq.

For more information, contact Carole O'Leary at (202) 885-1378.

Wednesday, Nov. 8

Second Annual Legal Dimensions of Climate Change Conference 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m., WCL, room 603

This event will focus on climate change and litigation and energy development, emissions trading transactions and business planning. Registration required.

For more information, contact (202) 274-4075.

Center for Teaching Excellence Workshop Noon-1 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 5

Faculty are invited to discuss distance learning during this Noontime Conversation sponsored by CTE.

Economics Department Seminar Series 12:10-1:15 p.m., Roper Hall, room 101. Tito Cordella of the World Bank will discuss international finance.

For more information, contact (202) 885-3770.

"Understanding Economics Science Through Experiments" 3-5 p.m., Battelle-Tompkins atrium

Bart Wilson of George Mason University will discuss how the teaching and learning of economics are illustrated by the use of experiments. Refreshments will be provided.

For more information, contact econ@american.edu.

Squat Competition 5:30 p.m., Jacobs Fitness Center

Think you can squat your body weight or more? Winners of this annual competition will receive prizes and bragging rights.

For more information, contact Chloe McInnis at (202) 885-6282.

Key Executive Leadership MPA Information Session 5:30-7 p.m., Ward 300

Learn more about this SPA program. For more information, contact Baylen Linnekin at (202) 885-3217.