Campus brief: Annual fraternity event raises funds for children's health

Derby Days, Sigma Chi's annual philanthropy event, kicked off its week-long fundraiser Saturday with broomball. The money raised will go to Children's National Medical Center, D.C.'s Children's Miracle Network hospital.

"All those who are participating in this year's Derby Days prove that raising money for a cause as good as this can be both rewarding and fun," said Patrick Sullivan, 2006 Derby Days Commissioner and a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences. "It is inspiring to see hundreds of students rally together to raise money for children in need."

This is the eighth annual Derby Days. The week's events include Pack Panera in Chevy Chase on Monday; Sigma Chi Comedy Night on Tuesday; Sigma Chi All Stars, a "wacky trivia" event, on Wednesday; a blood drive on Thursday; the Cedars/Hotspur concert, co-sponsored by the Student Union Board, on Friday; and field events on Saturday.

Children's Miracle Network has 170 million hospitals throughout the nation. They provide $2.5 million of uncompensated care for children each year.