Graduation speakers aim to inspire

Donald Graham, The Washington Post's chief executive officer; Michael Kahn, the Shakespeare Theater Company's artistic director; and Paul Volcker, former Federal Reserve Board chair, will speak at AU's 120th commencement ceremony May 14. Judge Vanessa Ruiz will deliver the commencement address at the Washington College of Law's graduation on May 21.

Graham and Kahn will receive an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters, Volcker will receive an Honorary Doctorate of Public Service and Ruiz will receive an Honorary Doctorate of Laws, according to a press release from AU's media relations office.

Graham will speak at the School of Communication and School of International Service ceremony, which will be held at 9 a.m. Graham is the son of Washington Post publishers Philip and Katherine Graham. Before joining The Post as a reporter in 1971, Graham served in Vietnam and as a patrolman in the Washington Metropolitan Police Department.

Graham was elected to serve as a director of the Washington Post Company in 1974. He served as president from May 1991 to September 1993. Graham is a trustee of the Federal City Council in D.C. and president of the District of Columbia College Access Program.

"For SOC students, it's pretty appropriate since The Washington Post is a reputable news source - for SIS students not so much," said Laura Kaplan, a senior in SOC and SIS. "I didn't know who he was so when I found out about it I was pretty excited."

Kahn will address graduates in the College of Arts and Sciences at 1 p.m. Kahn is the artistic director of the Shakespeare Theater Company.

Some of his production credits include "Hamlet," "King Lear," "Macbeth" and "Much Ado About Nothing." He has also directed classics by Henrik Ibsen and has been an acting teacher. Some of his former students include Kevin Kline, Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams.

"I'm excited about him coming because I am a lit major," said Meg Linehan, a senior in CAS. "It's timeless for lit majors and dated for the rest of CAS grads."

Volcker will deliver the address to School of Public Affairs and Kogod School of Business graduates at 4:30 p.m. Former President Jimmy Carter first appointed Volcker to the board of governors of the Federal Reserve System. He was then reappointed by former President Ronald Reagan. Volcker served on the Federal Reserve Board from 1979 to 1987. He is also former chairman of the Trilateral Commission and has taught at Princeton University. He currently serves as chairman of International House and cochairman of the Financial Services Volunteer Corps.

"To be honest, I don't know who any of the speakers are, but Paul Volcker - he's the man who beat inflation, that is pretty kick [butt]," said Steve Hiltebeitel, a senior in Kogod.

The WCL address will be given by Ruiz May 21 at 1 p.m. Ruiz is an associate judge on the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. She was born and raised in Puerto Rico and mentors Latino law students. She was named Hispanic National Bar Association Judge of the Year.