Sports briefs

Lane's career game helps end losing streak

Sophomore midfielder Jackie Lane registered a career-high six points to lead the AU women's lacrosse team to a 13-10 win over host Longwood Monday.

Lane's four-goal, two-assist output in the Eagles' regular-season finale ended their five-game losing streak.

The Lancers scored the match's first four goals, and AU (6-10) needed a three-goal rally to end the first half with the game tied 7-7.

Senior midfielder Moriah Linnell took over for the Eagles after halftime. She notched three goals as AU used a 6-3 second-half scoring advantage to break past Longwood (6-10) for the win.

The Eagles' next match is Saturday against Colgate in the Patriot League semifinals in Worcester, Mass.

McFerrin names two assistants

AU women's basketball coach Melissa McFerrin has named Amanda Kammes and Diane Richardson assistant coaches, according to an athletic department press release.

Richardson had spent the last five years as head coach at Riverdale Baptist in Upper Marlboro. She amassed a 142-20 record, leading the team to two top-10 national rankings. The 2005 Black Coaches Association National Coach of the Year also coached freshman AU point guard Pam Stanfield there.

Kammes, formerly a volunteer assistant coach with the Eagles, joined the program in 2005 after playing at Pennsylvania.

Two swimmers get Patriot League awards

Senior Valery Fomenko and sophomore Meghan Thiel were both named Patriot League Swimming and Diving Scholar-Athletes of the year, according to an athletic department release.

Fomenko, an international business major, owns the AU record in the 100-yard backstroke and is a three-time member of the all-league first team.

Thiel, a German language and area studies major, competed in the NCAA championships in the 800 and 1,650 freestyles. The owner of school records in the 200, 500 and 1,650 freestyles was AU's first female swimmer to qualify for the NCAAs in 12 years.