Sports Briefs

Track sets school records at Armory Collegiate Invitational

Three runners from AU's indoor men's and women's track and field teams set records at the Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York last weekend.

Junior Brendan Fennell smashed a 32-year-old record in the 5,000 meters Saturday, crossing the finish line at 14:23.91. It was nearly two seconds faster than AU's previous best, which Gary Cohen set in 1974.

Sophomore Brian McCabe and senior Zaia Wharton ran AU's fastest 1,000 meters ever on Friday. Wharton won the event and broke Samia Akbar's record by clocking in at 2:51.95. McCabe's time of 2:24.96 eclipsed four-time all-American Sean O'Brien's previous mark by one-tenth of a second and placed him second in the race.

Also in New York, AU competed Saturday in the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden, where the men's 4x800 relay squad won for the second year in a row.

Junior Dan Beardslee led the AU contingent at the Frank Colden Invitational in Collegeville, Pa. Saturday. He won the mile and was followed by teammates sophomore Kris Cruz (second) and freshman Carlos Jamieson (third).

Wrestling gets road victory against league foe Harvard

The AU wrestling team won at Harvard, 24-19, Saturday to move to 3-0 against the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association this year.

The Eagles won just three bouts on the mat, but No. 4 senior Muzaffar Abdurakhmanov scored a pin and Harvard forfeited the first two weight classes, which was enough to push AU past the Crimson.

Heavyweight sophomore Adam LoPiccolo, who came into the event ranked tenth in the nation, saw an end to his five-match winning streak. He was defeated by Harvard's No. 8 Bode Ogunwole in a 4-3 double-overtime decision.

Tyler Flatt and Tom Kniezewski's decision victories rounded out the wins for AU.