Salazar remembered as dynamic leader, passionate activist

The death of Class of 2005 president Chris Salazar has left many AU students celebrating the life of an individual who left his mark on the school as a community leader and activist.

Salazar died after he fell from his fourth-story apartment balcony in Washington, D.C., around 1:50 a.m. Sunday. Investigators are still checking into what caused the fall, Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Israel James said.

James said he did not have details on what led to the fall, but said Tuesday that investigators believed it was accidental. The Salazar family said the fall was a "freak accident."

Friends say Salazar, who had finished a temporary job with the Human Rights Campaign, considered going to law school at one point, but was in the process of interviewing for jobs. He graduated with a degree in political science and was passionate about American history and politics, and read multiple papers daily to keep up with current events.

Salazar was elected class president all four years, and worked his senior year to raise more than $40,000 for a student lounge in the Katzen Arts Center.

The fund-raising drive began early in the 2004-2005 academic year with events like the All-American Auction, which raised more than $2,000, The Eagle previously reported. The Class of 2005 also gave a $10,000 gift to the library.

He was an active member of the campus community in other ways as well; Salazar was an AU cheerleader and worked as a resident assistant in McDowell Hall.

"Chris was my RA during my sophomore year here," said Rebecca Krichinsky, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences. "I am an RA now because of him. He wrote me a great recommendation and now I have one of the greatest jobs thanks to him."

According to Krichinsky, Salazar helped her through the death of one of her friends, who died of alcohol poisoning.

"Chris helped me through it and helped me realize that my friend did all he needed to do while he was here," Krichinsky said.

Julie Weber, executive director for housing and dining, knew Salazar through his work as an RA.

"I am happy to say he was a terrific member of the AU community," Weber said. "He stayed committed to the student body even after he graduated."

Salazar was the recipient of the Leadership Award given by the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community for his efforts in improving AU's climate for GLBT students. A panel of students and faculty members chooses recipients of the annual GLBT awards.

In 2003, Salazar protested a September 11 Salvation Army service project because of the charity's anti-gay policies, specifically its decision not to offer health benefits to domestic partners of unmarried employees, The Eagle previously reported.

Kyle Taylor, president of the Student Government, remembers Salazar as a very passionate person.

"He was an advocate for social justice, especially gay rights," Taylor said. "He will truly be missed."

Joe Gallina, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, knew Salazar through Student Government.

"The AU community has suffered a tremendous loss with the loss of Chris," Gallina said. "He was AU's shining star and a leader, activist and friend, and will be deeply missed by his peers."

Mindy Michels, director of the GLBTA resource center at AU, said news of Salazar's death and sadness over it has rippled through the campus of 11,000 students.

"As I've asked people who they heard the news [of Salazar's death] from, not one student said the same name," Michels said. "He mattered to so many people."

A memorial service will be held for Salazar Thursday evening at 7 p.m. in the Kay Spiritual Life Center, according to Weber. Michels, who planned the service with university chaplain Joe Eldridge, believes that the 280-seat chapel will be completely filled, if not overflowing.

A funeral Mass will be said Saturday, Nov. 20, in Salazar's hometown, Santa Fe, N.M.