Staff editorial: The Eagle's 15-point plan

Yesterday's seizure of the board of trustees' meeting by student protests marked a turning point in the scandal surrounding AU President Ben Ladner's excessive spending. The board must be given credit for giving the protesters a voice in the meeting (20 of them were allowed to ask board members questions), and for their collective disclosure that they would vote for Ladner's dismissal.

It would seem, then, that Ladner's time here at American University is at its long-awaited end. Though the issue of Ladner's questionable spending and lack of a moral compass only arose recently, the general assumption about Ladner among students for as long as we can recall has been that Ladner treats the school's funds as his personal piggy-bank. As one board member pointed out after the meeting, Ladner "did nothing to build a reserve of good will with the students," even before we knew he was helping himself to more than his share. We're thrilled to see him go.

Furthermore, underneath the surface of yesterday's protest was student frustration about the administration's habit of shutting students out of processes that affect the lives of everyone who attends AU. Ladner's upcoming departure is an excellent opportunity to engage the student population ready to participate in shaping the future of AU. That is what is necessary to build the kind of campus community that so far only exists in recruitment literature. Below is our 15-Point Plan for a better, more accountable AU.

An activist campus needs an activist president: Our next president must be able to walk the walk when it comes to service and social justice. So far, these are values only espoused on paper as demonstrated by the bitter struggle to have Pura Vida on campus instead of Starbucks, and the tolerance of corporate-style corruption built into the position of president.

The president must be able to drive himself/herself to work: We understand that the president must go to (reasonable) lengths to wine and dine prospective donors, but he or she also must be responsible enough to not overly indulge when it comes to his or her own every day life.

The president must build a relationship with the students: The president must be a part of the community. It is absurd to talk about building a campus community when the president himself only appears on campus with the same frequency as the Sasquatch. The president must be an individual that the students admire and respect. The president must be more than a back-slapper.

The president should be the most qualified individual who reflects AU's focus on diversity.

The president must have experience serving a community: He or she must have made community building, empowerment and development a priority throughout his or her career. He or she must have built a career in accordance with the principles of the university.

Increased transparency: Students must not be kept in the dark regarding the operations of the president, board of trustees and the administration.

The President and the board of directors must actively seek student input.

The president and the board of trustees must maintain contact and seek input from alumni.

The president must understand what a values-based university really is (See point number 11 in Ladner's 15-Point plan).

The board of trustees must eliminate its autonomous committees and make decisions as an entire board.

Forty percent of the board of trustees should be comprised of students and faculty.

The board of trustees must be accessible to the students: Who are these people? How are they appointed? Students must be able to contact them with questions and concerns. Think about a website.

Student evaluations of the president and the board of trustees must be conducted regularly.

Students must have a prominent role in the selection of a new president: We're not saying we get to pick the person, but the University exists for our benefit, and not for the benefit of the university.

The president must bring something to the table: We need not have a president who feels we owe him something. The individual chosen to be our president must be a valuable addition to AU to be an effective leader; he or she must not be a drain.

Ladner's excessive spending, the million dollar investigation, and Ladner's golden parachute will all add up to a healthy sum that our tuition will pay for. It would be tragic if the administration and the board of trustees were not able to grasp the need for a systemic reform. Let's lose Ladner but not the opportunity to fix AU.