Number of international students falls from last year

Other schools rival international enrollement

The number of undergraduate international students studying at AU has decreased from 369 last year to 331 this year, according to AU's Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.

"I think it's a combination of factors," said Fanta Aw, director of International Student Services at AU, of why the numbers are decreasing. U.S. and overseas universities have faced increased competition for international students, pitting AU against colleges both domestic and worldwide. Additionally, the cost of studying at AU is very high.

"The undergraduate program is quite expensive here where there's very limited financial aid, if any, for international students," Aw said.

According to Aw, the decrease numbers is "significant" for AU, which holds a reputation for being an international institution, she said.

"Coming to AU, you really expect to see a mini-United Nations where you will have an opportunity to interact with students from all over the world and I think it's particularly for that reason that it's important that we get the numbers back up," Aw said. "The current degree-seeking international students represent 102 different countries with the highest percentage of students, 66, coming from Japan."

Many international students choose AU because of its reputation as an international institution, its location, the programs it offers and the International Student support services available.

"The School of International Service is known for its programs and I came here for that," said Pak Jun Young, a freshman from Korea studying in the School of International Service. "Plus [the university] seems to really want to welcome international students and make them feel at home."

"Much more targeted recruitment," Aw recommended. "Which areas of the world we target, what types of high schools overseas we will forge relationships with and which universities we will form alliances with to send their students to us."

AU should use overseas alumni to help draw in new students, Aw said.

The number of graduate international degree-seeking students has increased along with the number of exchange students who apply to Abroad at AU, a program that allows international students to study abroad at AU for a semester or more. It is the first program of its kind in the United States and is expecting an increase over the next few years.

This fall 20 students are participating in the program and Mark Hayes, associate director of AU Abroad, expects an increase of 25 this spring and 50 next fall.