Take action on immigration

Mexican President Vicente Fox recently called security walls along the U.S.-Mexican border "discriminatory" and "against freedom." Well that's funny, I never knew that anyone had the right to just walk into America and say, "Here I am, give me a job." Perhaps Fox should talk to our Democrats, since apparently our Constitution is just as much a "living" document to him as it is to them.

In a speech, Fox went on to say that countries that are proud of themselves shouldn't build walls. Maybe not, but countries that value their protection do. Perhaps Mexico doesn't need walls since everyone is trying to get out? It's also just a little bit ironic that the same Mexican government that is giving us a lecture in righteousness also prints pamphlets instructing its citizens how to sneak into our country.

Americans along the border have finally had enough. Voters passed a ballot measure in Arizona that would limit the benefits illegal immigrants receive from legal taxpayers. Never to be outdone and to stay on La Raza's Christmas party guest list, judges have stepped in on some occasions to tell the voters these propositions are illegal and should continue forking out cash to these bogus individuals. That is priceless: legal citizens cannot withhold services from illegal individuals.

I think we should pause right here and get a few facts straight. Illegal means just that - they are not supposed to be here, and since they have broken the law, they have no claim on any government entitlement program that your parents are taxed to finance. How it ever became politically incorrect

to use the word illegal I will never know, but I use

it nonetheless. When law enforcement officials

come across these people, they should deport

them.

The papers have been chock-full of coverage on illegal immigration as of late. The Washington Post ran a story on Census Bureau and Pew Hispanic Center research that showed a 70 percent increase in illegal immigrants in the Washington area since 2000. To give you a better handle on that figure, there are 500,000 illegals living in the tri-state area. These people demand and consume services, but unlike legal immigrants and U.S. citizens, they do not always pay taxes, especially on Social Security. At a time in which Social Security is nearing the breaking point, is it really wise to subsidize those here illegally?

While President Bush has done a stand-up job on every other security issue, he has completely dropped the ball on immigration. I have nothing against compassionate conservatism, but I do not believe it extends to excusing and rewarding illegal behavior. A guest-worker program may not be amnesty, but guests usually check out, and I have a hard time believing these illegals would. Jeffrey Passel of the Pew Hispanic Center concluded, "What drives the growth in immigration populations in general is employment opportunities." I completely agree and think the government should have more severe sanctions against employers that hire these workers and thereby encourage breaking the law.

The president's refusal to bring the border patrol forces up to congressionally mandated levels is inexcusable, and he should therefore not be surprised that a movement such as the Minuteman Project has commenced. The president referred to them as vigilantes; I call them people who aren't running for office. Why won't politicians stop worrying about their election and start worrying about our protection? But I guess since illegals can also vote, that trumps politicians' national security concerns.

Also, how can anyone with a straight face defend masses of people streaming across the border unchecked? We had 19 terrorists overstay their visas and only found out about them after they cut down 3,000 Americans one bloody Tuesday. They at least applied for a visa; illegal immigrants just waltz to the desert two-step right over the Rio Grande with Vicente Fox's full blessing.

When Congress takes up immigration reform in the near future, I hope it actually fixes the problem, not just sugarcoat it with nuance and cute sound bites. Those who really care, like Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.), should be listened to and truly consulted by the White House. Immigration should not be totally stopped, but it should be made fair. It is not right that people abuse their proximity to America and break in, while a young man in the Philippines, not near the U.S. border, is taking the legal route. America has and should continue to welcome people to its shores, but the shining City on a Hill should not be left unprotected.