Smokers, butt out of public places

The District of Columbia is considering banning smoking in bars, restaurants and workplaces. If city council passes the measure it would join several other cities that have banned public smoking in one way or another since New York City passed its ban in 2003.

Some members of council oppose the ban as well as groups representing the gay community. These council members feel smokers have the right to smoke and business owners will suffer. Gay groups feel they have been targeted by the tobacco companies and would be disproportionately affected by new regulations. The resolution is supported by the American Cancer Society.

Regardless of the smokers' right to inhale, they do not have the right to hurt the health of others in public. Lighting up imposes upon other patrons and should not be considered part of a smoker's personal space. Smokers are still free to smoke in their homes or vehicles, and should not be condemned for choosing to smoke; however, that does not give them carte blanche to invade the personal space of others.

Unlike banning cell phones, smoking bans are much easier to enforce. Banning smoking in public is also socially responsible and will enhance the life of all D.C. residents, and hopefully spread to other locales in the future.