Letters to the Editor: Starbucks or Pura Vida?

Dear Editor:

When I heard that the General Assembly had opted to allow a Starbucks franchise to occupy the Auntie Anne's space in the Mary Graydon Center, I was highly disappointed.ÿI have always thought of American University students as having a highly developed social conscience, especially when it came to matters of international consequence such as fair trade. The rejection of the Pura Vida installment strikes me as a deviation from the GA's main purpose, to act in a manner that reflects the student body's convictions and interests.

I did not see any pro-Starbucks banners flying from any buildings around the Quad, nor did I see any anti-Pura Vida banners.ÿI believe that the overwhelming majority of students would prefer that when they pay $5 for a cup of coffee, it goes to a Colombian farmer trying to feed his children rather than to a yuppie stockholder who needs to fill up his beamer.

Chauncey Brooks Senior, SIS and CAS

Dear Editor:

First, to those still skeptical about the merits of Pura Vida coffee, I suggest the company's Web site, www.puravidacoffee.com. As for the merits of Starbucks, feel free to read its Corporate Social Responsibility 2004 Annual Report, which can be found online. The 72 pages makes for some good bedtime reading. Even with the snazzy pictures in the Starbucks' report, Pura Vida still comes out on top. I'm not saying Starbucks is the worst coffee company; it's not. But when given the choice between the two, Pura Vida is undeniably the better option.

On another note, Ibbie Hedrick, Et al raise some good questions about Pura Vida. However, a simple Google search would have sufficed to answer each and every one of those questions. The Residence Hall Association had valid information from both pro-Pura Vida and pro-Starbucks standpoints and it chose Pura Vida. Be disappointed in its decision, but don't twist the facts. Those like Ms. Hedrick let a lack of knowledge serve as a smokescreen to hide their petty selfishness. This decision is not a left-wing or right-wing issue. It is a justice issue. But I guess I was the one misinformed. I always thought Republicans were compassionate. All I can do now is hope Ms. Hedrick, Et al do not represent the majority of campus Republicans, because I'd like to think most of them actually care about what effects a simple decision can have on global justice.

Are educated members of the American University community being unfairly ridiculed for standing up for what they believe in? They could be.

Elizabeth Sanders Freshman, SIS