AU community honors Pope with candlelight vigil

The AU Catholic community came together Thursday evening on the Quad to hold a candlelight vigil in honor of Pope John Paul II, who died on April 2.

The vigil was held on a windy, gray evening at 8:15. The vigil began with prayers and Scripture readings by Father William Gurnee, AU's Catholic chaplain, and Karin Thornton, the associate Catholic chaplain.

"The most incredible experience of my life was seeing Pope John Paul at World Youth Day in Rome," said Erin Hinchey, Catholic Student Association president, sharing her thoughts on the pope.

The Rev. Mark Schaefer, the AU Methodist chaplain, gave Ecumenical condolences. Many Protestants share the same values as John Paul II, such as human freedom and hope, Schaefer said. Gurnee read a letter of condolence from Rabbi Kenneth Cohen, who Gurnee said was the first rabbi to offer sympathy to the AU Catholic community.

During a brief homily on the pope, Gurnee spoke about how John Paul II was the most "prolific pope in the Catholic faith."

"I am both sad and joyful," said Deacon James Ebright, who is studying to become a priest. "I am sad because of the loss of a great leader, but I am joyful that our Holy Father has attained eternal life with God."

After an a cappella version of Ave Maria, sung by Bethany Corey, a sophomore and member of the Catholic Community Choir, the group was dismissed by Gurnee.

"I have always been a Catholic," said Keegan Gibson, a freshman in the School of International Service, as he was leaving the ceremony. "Like most AU students, I have only seen one pope lead our church my entire life. ... I felt like I had to come and pay my respects."

The conclave of cardinals in Rome will begin the process of picking a new pope on April 18.