Money interrupts pure sport

JORDAN BEANE

This week in the world of sports, there were some notable salary cap casualties. The world champion New England Patriots cut cornerback Ty Law, the Buffalo Bills cut quarterback Drew Bledsoe, and American University cut the golf and tennis programs.

Oh, you didn't know that AU had a salary cap? Well apparently we do, since over the last few years we've lost swimming scholarships, and this will be the final year for our golf and tennis teams.

The athletes on these three teams are just the latest on a long list to find out the harsh reality of today's college sports scene - that when it comes down to it, some sports are just less important than others. Who cares if our men's and women's tennis teams won five of this school's 20 Patriot League championships? Who cares if our golfers qualify for U.S. Amateur championships? Apparently not the Athletics Department.

Why come here on a track scholarship when the track team could be cut next year? Why think about playing volleyball when it might be the next one to go?
The only people who care are the people on the teams, their families and their friends. That's a problem. If our athletic director decided to cut basketball or field hockey, the University and its students would be up in arms, e-mails and letters would be sent, petitions would be passed, and people would be angry. Cut the golf and tennis programs, and people say "we have golf and tennis teams?"

So what does this move say to the prospective student-athlete thinking about coming to AU to play sports? With an athletics department that cuts teams without any warning, even when those teams have become successful, these kids might think twice. Why come here on a track scholarship when the track team could be cut next year? Why think about playing volleyball when it might be the next one to go?

When kids see our Athletics Department and its uncaring demeanor toward most of the teams here, it can only hurt AU athletics, not help it - although, according to Athletic Director Joni Comstock, the reason these teams are being cut in the first place is to "maintain the [university's] level of achievement."

And what does this move say to the other teams on campus that aren't the basketball teams? Be afraid. It seems that it doesn't matter how well you do in the win-loss column, because in the end it's going to come down to dollars and cents. This school is just looking to save a buck (or much more than that, judging by your tuition raise), so watch your back everyone else, because the message has been sent. Field hockey? I wouldn't drop out of national contention or it might be it for you. Women's lacrosse? Well, they don't have the same bulky equipment that the guys do, but those new masks are probably cutting into the budget. Track? You guys have barely any equipment in the first place, but you might get cut just for the fun of it.

College athletics is supposed to be the last realm of pure sport and the competitive spirit. The people here playing these sports are not thinking of going on and playing professionally. They simply play for the love of the game and to perhaps see their championship banner hanging in Bender Arena. However it seems the only thing the Athletics Department sees is the bottom line.