Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

I just read The Eagle's most recent sex column from Feb. 17 regarding the abundance of hookups and the demise of dating. It hit a note with me. As a 25-year-old guy who wishes he could go back to the children's table during family gatherings, I find myself in an awkward position. (Unfortunately, more often than not it has nothing to do with actual sexual fantasies.) This position is the girl saying to herself, "I think he might be gay" (which I am not), or "there is no way he is actually serious." This stupid cynicism has left me burned in parts where I would rather not be scarred (well not in the physical sense at least).

I remember when a friend of mine back in high school said the best way to get laid was to be a jerk. Turns out, yep, he was right. But see, I am an asshole in society anyway, but back then I was the short fat kid. No more. Now it seems all girls want is hookups because of a lack of trust in jerk-frat guys. So now every time I hold a door open for a girl, I am either fake or automatically anti-feminist for assuming she cannot do it for herself!

Besides that, a reason guys and girls go for the friends with benefits thing, in my opinion, is that girls automatically assign the nice guy to the "friends" category, and guys know that it sucks - so what's the alternative? Yeah.

Anyway, I digress. My point is much the same as yours - that not all guys nor all girls are really happy with the hookup scene, except for the fact it makes for interesting fodder at TDR or any other place for that matter either.

Oh yeah, the sex too.

Chris Perricone

Senior, SPA

Dear Editor:

We are extremely disappointed that the Community Action and Social Justice Organization, College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Leadership Council, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Graduate Student Association, the Kennedy Political Union, and the departments of history, philosophy and sociology have decided to bring Bobby Seale to campus.

While we recognize and greatly appreciate the right to free speech, we wish that these organizations would choose their speakers more wisely.

It's one thing to be a Marxist revolutionary opposed to capitalism. It is quite another to be the founder of an organization linked to countless murders and hateful rhetoric.

Michael Inganamort, Alan Griffith, Jackie Puente, Joy Downey, Erin Fagan, Seth Johnson, Claudia Imel, Ryan Breslin, Darrell Owens, Adam Stubitz, Kristine Miller, Mark Hauser, Lindsay Wilson, Lauren Cooper, Mike Gaetani, James Tauber, Kimberly N. Hudson, Justin Meyer, John Sannar, Tiffany Gray, Candace Hetchler, Emily Hyatt, Lauren Paraggio, Milla Savelieff, Jeremy Zook, Karen Fischer Trevor Murphy, Jackie Baginski, Nick Terzulli, Alexis Boudeau, Christina Washington, Jeremy Schneider, John Wright, Nicole A. Johnson, Emily Evans, Sarah Perez, Scott Eshom, Peter Suprenant, Whitney Nichols, Jason C. Dombrowski, Mark Meadows, Courtney Carter, Erin Stephenson, Erin Fisher, Derek Heiss,

Kacie Corella