Thursday, May 2, 2024

Campus Briefs: Bender Library loves you

Bender Library spread the love on Valentine's Day by offering free candy and a chance to win $50 gift certificates to Best Buy.

The library staff wanted to "get a chance to tell [the students] we appreciate them," said Julie Darnell, library development coordinator.

Staff said love in the library is not uncommon.

"Lots of people meet in the stacks, hang out and talk," said Mary Evangeliste, a reference and instruction librarian. "It's an academic and also a social environment. ... We're spreading individual love to global love."

Some students said the event was a good idea.

"I think it's cool. Any chance to win something is always nice," said Erin Kelley, a sophomore in the School of International Service who entered the contest.

The staff originally planned to direct the contest at seniors, but "we couldn't leave out the rest of the student body," they said.

"We originally wanted to let seniors know that they can still continue to use the library after they graduate," Evangeliste said. "In most university libraries, this is not the case."

Graduated students can use their alumni card to check out books and use other reference material, though they do not have access to the online ALADIN databases.

Six winner of the $50 gift certificates will be announced Feb. 21.