Campus Brief: Homophobic, sexual language discussed

AU hosted the 12th annual Lavender Languages and Linguistics Conference this weekend. The three-day conference, themed "Marginal Sexualities, Marginal Languages," addressed issues such as gender, sexuality, politics, "queer themes in public media," and even "Sexual Identity in 'The Lion King 1.5' and 'A Shark's Tale.'"

The conference had several panel speakers, including AU professors William Leap, Celine-Marie Pascale and Winifred Tate, and other speakers from around the world.

"Even after 12 years, the conference continues to offer discussion about language that has not been duplicated at other conferences or in other academic settings," said conference organizer Bill Leap in a press release.

The conference featured poetry readings, academic discussions on language and homophobia, and panels on language and sexuality.

The Anthropology Department, American Studies Program, Women and Gender Studies Program, and the College of Arts and Sciences host the Lavender Languages and Linguistics Conference annually. The first Lavender Languages conference took place in 1993, in conjunction with the March on Washington, D.C., for gay rights, according to AU's GLBTA Web site.

Undergraduate and graduate students participate in all conference activities, including presenting papers and organizing workshops. Admission cost $5 for students and $10 for others.

The conference is organized to facilitate face-to-face conversation to allow discussion to flow freely throughout the day, according to the Lavender Languages Conference Web site, http://www.american.edu/cas/anthro/lavenderlanguages/.