Snow lets men's b-ball rest after win

AU Men's Basketball got an extra day to reflect on one of its most lopsided victories in years.

A 2-foot blast of snow and a state of emergency in Massachusetts forced the postponement of Sunday's game at Holy Cross (12-5, 3-1 Patriot League) until today. Meanwhile, the Eagles (12-5, 3-1) can enjoy Friday's 72-37 smothering of Army (2-14, 0-4).

The 35-point victory margin was the Eagles' greatest in a PL contest in its four-season league history. It edged the old record of 34 points, set in a 77-43 win in 2003 over the Black Knights.

"This was an outstanding team effort tonight," head coach Jeff Jones said. "We came out with a lot of intensity and energy, and we were able to sustain it for the whole game."

Jones played his full 12-man roster as 11 players finished with points on the board, although senior Raimondas Petrauskas was the most productive, with 12 points and seven rebounds. Sophomore Andre Ingram scored 11 points, nine from three-point range, and senior Patrick Okpwae came off the bench to contribute 11 points.

Not only was the Eagles' offense deep Friday, but it was also accurate. AU shot 50 percent from the field and almost 48 percent from beyond the arc.

AU took care of business on the other end of the court too, allowing fewer than 40 points for the first time in three years. The Eagles outrebounded the Black Knights, 46-26, and collected seven steals, including three by sophomore Linas Lekavicius. Ingram and Okpwae chipped in a pair of blocks each to hold Army to 24 percent shooting.

Army got its only lead of the game in the first minute after a three-pointer put the Black Knights up 3-2. They then missed their next 10 shots as AU took control in a 20-1 run in building a 39-12 halftime lead.

The Eagles remained dominant in the second session and even led, 66-29, with four minutes remaining for its largest lead of the evening.

The weather won't strand the Eagles anywhere this weekend as they stay home to face Bucknell (14-4, 5-0) and Colgate (8-10, 3-2). The first-place Bison, who are on an 11-game winning streak that includes a Jan. 2 toppling of then-No.10 Pittsburgh, will be without coach Pat Flannery. He is taking a leave of absence after exiting Friday's game against Lafayette at halftime for health concerns.