AU artists celebrate at AmLit party

The release party of American Literary, a student-produced literary magazine, was the only place on campus to find poetry, cake, condoms and lots of pink on Sunday night.

A standing room-only crowd gathered to hear contributors read their work from the magazine's fall edition at the 1970s porn-themed event.

American Literary features photography, artwork, poetry and prose from AU students and faculty.

Co-editors in chief Alanna Schubach and Sean Conway said they've worked hard to draw out the artistic side of the AU community.

"You think of [AU] as being SIS, communication and business-oriented, but it's clear from the amount we get there are a lot of artists," Schubach, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said.

Haley Stevens, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, who read her submission "By the Edge of Adieu," said she was grateful for American Literary's efforts to reach out to AU's aspiring artists.

"I really appreciate the work [American Literary] has done and the standard they've set. I think it's a great community," Stevens said.

Justin Shilad, a senior in CAS who was also published in American Literary, agreed.

"I've really liked its cool, low-key environment," said Shilad, who read his poem "Inhibition" at the release party. "There are so many people with suits on campus. ... It's cool there are people here who are artistic."

Despite the magazine's hot pink color motif, the editors in chief said they had no set vision for the magazine's turnout. However, they devoted more space to art and photography than in previous years, according to Conway. Since the staff changes each year, it's interesting to see how the content reflects the staff change, he said.

American Literary's staff seeks out unique work, Conway said.

"One thing we look for are pieces that stand out," he said. "Every semester you get problems about love, problems about loss and problems about angst." Submissions that are different in execution are more likely to be published, Conway said.

This semester American Literary's editors chose to publish four out of 80 short stories, 13 out of 150 poems and 18 out of 200 photographs and artwork that were submitted, according to Conway.

While judging submissions, the names of the artists are removed to make the judging unbiased.

Those who wish to contribute to American Literary do not have to have any prior experience with writing, art or photography.

"It allows the magazine to be open to more members of the AU community," Conway said.