Ladner salary second highest in D.C.

President Benjamin Ladner's total compensation from 2002 to 2003 makes him the second highest paid private university president in the D.C. area, following Stephen J. Trachtenberg, president of George Washington University, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported this week.

Ladner's 2002-2003 total compensation, including his salary and benefits, was $614,360, substantially higher than Howard and Georgetown universities, and rivals such as Lehigh and Syracuse universities, whose presidential compensations range from roughly $450,000 to $590,000. From 2000 to 2001, Ladner made $589,243, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education, a journal about higher learning in America.

The Chronicle surveyed the highest-paid leaders and employers at private institutions and found that 19 leaders were paid $500,000-599,000, 13 leaders were paid $600,000-699,000, and 10 leaders were paid more than $700,000, including the president of Boston University, who made $808,677. The highest paid leader was William R. Brody, president of Johns Hopkins University, and the lowest paid leaders, such as Daniel L. Ritchie, chancellor of the University of Denver, and the Rev. William P. Leahy, president of Boston College, made nothing.

The journal "compiled the information from the Form 990 that each institution filed with the Internal Revenue Service" and defined total compensation as salary, bonuses and benefits, such as health and pension plans. Ladner's benefits totaled $48,527, also the second highest in the area.

Ladner became president in 1994 and vowed to improve the school by accentuating its strengths over a long-term period. In an interview with The Eagle after he was hired, he said, "I'm investing my life in this institution. I hope that I fit here, and that some of the skills, some of the experience from my past will help build a solid foundation for this university."

Polson Kanneth, president of the Student Confederation, said that Ladner's salary was a concern among students who are worried about increasing tuition rates. Tuition is expected to increase 4.5 to 6 percent for 2005-2006, according to Provost Neil Kerwin and Vice President of Finance Don Myers, The Eagle previously reported.

"Since our tuition is coming up, this needs to be brought into consideration when deciding tuition over the next few years," Kanneth said. "We know we're getting a tuition increase, so this is something we've got to focus on." Kanneth declined to say if he thought the salary was justified.

Other students shared Kanneth's concern.

"This school is already really expensive," said Kellian Kennedy, freshman in the School of Public Affairs. "I think Financial Aid helps out a little but not enough."

Tuition will increase over the next 10 years as the University expands and rehabilitates old buildings, The Eagle previously reported.

The Capital Campaign, a $200 million fundraising campaign begun last year, will go toward renovating education facilities, constructing the Katzen Arts Center and increasing AU's endowment. Other initiatives set out under Ladner include the 15-point plan, "Building a Global University" in 1997, and "Ideas into Action, Action into Service" in 2001.

Kanneth praised Ladner's fundraising ability, which he sited at $93 million, and AU's increase in U.S. News and World Report rankings over the past four years. In 2001 AU was ranked No. 125, in 2002 it was ranked No. 99 and in 2003 AU ranked No. 86. He also noted that Ladner "has improved our ranking, better facilities, renovated buildings, and created an awareness of what a campus should be," he said.

Kanneth said his sole complaint about Ladner was his visibility on campus, though he stressed that his presence has increased since Kanneth's freshman year.

"We brought him to a town hall meeting, he had a great time and I think we all enjoyed ourselves," he said. "He's very responsive."

However, some students say that despite Ladner's accomplishments, his salary is still too high.

"We're getting all of these new additions like parking lots and the new Katzen Center ... $614,000 is a little ridiculous," said Jen Sibel, freshman in the Kogod School of Business.

Antonio Elias, freshman in the SPA agreed.

"I think his salary is so high that he should be paying for my tuition," Elias said.

The Board of Trustees decides Ladner's salary. Jack Cassell, a SOC alumnus and member of the Board, said that Ladner was an "excellent" president and "if he was in the corporate world, he would be paid significantly more." Cassell also praised Ladner's efforts to improve the school as "exemplary."

Other highest compensated employees at AU include Provost Neil Kerwin at $367,163, Vice President of Finance Donald Myers at $365,687 and Vice President of Development Al Checcio at $312,607.

Eagle Staff Writer Kate Oczypok contributed to this story. The story was updated on Dec. 3.