AU being taken for a ride with Bethesda shuttle

On Sunday, a Bethesda shuttle struck an unknown object on the way to the Park Bethesda apartments. This is just the latest in a series of safety and lateness issues that have risen this year involving the Bethesda shuttle. The shuttle is run by Reston Limousine, which AU contracted to run the service. This year, AU is extending the contract on a monthly basis with Reston because it is hesitant to sign a long-term contract. Meanwhile, Reston claims that it can't fix its buses and hire better drivers without the funds that would come with a long-term contract.

The current service provided by Reston is unacceptable. Safety should be the top priority, and that is clearly a big problem with Reston's service. Even if safety was not such a concern, there are other problems with Reston's service, including erratic and off-schedule transportation on a consistent basis.

It's inconceivable that Reston could offer service like this and expect AU to agree to a long-term contract. It's up to Reston to find smart and safe drivers, and raise their standards.

AU should aggressively court a replacement company, even if it costs the school more. You get what you pay for, and the AU community has so far paid a price for the lower cost offered by Reston. It's unfortunate that AU is in a business relationship with a company that is offering poor service, and we look forward to seeing results of their current search for a replacement.