Job fair unfair

Today more than 100 employers will descend upon Bender Arena as part of the Career Center's Job and Internship Fair. Groups such as federal agencies, lobbyists, contractors and businessmen will set up tables, trying to find employees and interns.

While it's great that so many significant groups are participating in the fair, a closer look reveals that many employers represent areas of government, public affairs and non-profits. This is great for students in SPA, a school AU is known for and who deserve good opportunities. However, few employers will be present searching specifically for students majoring in journalism or international affairs, among other concentrations, based on the numbers in the Career Center's fall guide.

The School of International Service, Kogod School of Business and School of Communication are highly ranked nationally. And these students deserve to meet with a variety of prospective employers as well, beyond those searching for, say, public communication or marketing fields.

However, the lack of certain employers may not be due to a lack of effort on the Career Center's part, but rather because certain employers may be flooded with applicants or have no need to come to AU. The reason is difficult to diagnose.

While the job fair is helpful to many students, hopefully in the future it will be even more inclusive.