Home(short)comings

Homecoming week at AU was full of programs, speakers and activities but still fell below some student s' expectations. It is not that this year's activities were any less than last year's or those of the years before. And that is part of the problem. Especially for new students used to the color and spirit of high school, Homecoming week at AU is surprisingly mild.

Credit is due to the organizers of the events taking place, like SUB's Lewis Black and KPU's Ari Fleischer. Both appearances were great and greatly appreciated by the packed in audiences. Also, many students enthusiastically attended the American Classic 5K.

Still, there's something missing: football. And AU's lack of a football team certainly rains on that parade (speaking of which, the parade could maybe use more than a golf cart?).

But have no fear, the empty gridiron void could easily be filled with flag football, or even other games.

High schools across the country celebrate Homecoming enthusiastically with bonfires, class events, parties and, most of all, school spirit. This is something that many students expect to carry on into their college careers.

Even at Division III schools, Homecoming is a big event. Even though many enjoy AU's lack of sports obsessions, many would probably also like to see student groups and greek life band together for a weekend of parties and events. AU offers so many of the other traditional college experiences, so why not this one?

Student involvement in Homecoming has always raised morale and school pride. Perhaps if students had more input into the activities, there would be more participation. It would give students a reason to attend if they were involved in the choices.

While no one should bypass AU because of our Homecoming, it is something that students miss. The greatest shame is that Homecoming week is an American tradition that somehow doesn't have the same weight at American University.