Greek life brings unity to campus

This opinion piece is in response to Paul Perry's letter to the editor, which appeared in the Oct. 4 edition of The Eagle.

In the course of 10 months, I have become increasingly happier about my experience at AU. I have become more involved with an array of campus activities and interacted with more students on campus. I have done more community service both on and off campus while learning what it takes to plan events here at AU. This has all happened since I became a member of greek life.

I was very disturbed when I read the letter by Paul Perry to The Eagle about greek life at AU. As the delegate to the Panhellenic Association for my sorority, I feel as if I come to you not only as a Delta Gamma but as a representative of all the sororities (and fraternities for that matter) on campus. The accusations Perry wrote not only are incorrect, they are stereotypical and hurtful to all of those involved in greek life. I am aware that Mr. Perry himself was involved with greek life, which is why I was confused when he stated, "The principles that our modern-day fraternities and sororities purport to stand for today have been lost." The reason I am confused is because the principles he spoke of - service, academics, honor, leadership, sportsmanship - have not been lost through greek life but are only accentuated. No service? All members of greek life are involved with community service. Our national organization raised more than $775,000 to benefit our philanthropy in 2003. Lack of academics, honors or leadership? The accumulated greek life GPA is higher than the University undergraduate GPA. Last year the SC had a greek as its president, and this year KPU does as well. Not to mention all the greeks who work or intern in D.C. Mr. Perry, I seem to be lost when it comes to evidence backing up your statements.

Also, one of the many things I took great offense to was "oh-so-graciously financed by mommy and daddy for their less-than-grateful and not-so-self-aware offspring." Mr. Perry, I am sure that every BMW and Mercedes in the parking garages belongs to someone in greek life for you would not make another incorrect statement. But personally, I drive a 12-year-old car with a popped-up hood. I would not call that a luxury car. I pay dues to my sorority. The check comes from my bank account. It comes from the same account that I work all summer to fund. I pay for every event I take part in and everything I do on this campus. I use my own money to buy my books. I am grateful for my parents paying for my education. I am not the only one. Plenty of my sisters and friends involved in other sororities or fraternities pay for them themselves. And plenty of them don't have cars. So again, you leave me confused with this incorrect and hurtful assumption.

I also think Perry does not understand Graduate Assistance Program points. In trying to put down sororities, Mr. Perry mentioned GAP points as one of the things sororities of which have a "veiled inferiority complex." Mr. Perry, did you attend the Civitas Speaker two weeks ago? Did you get involved with the Wellness Fair? Did you create a game for Civitas Game Day? Greek life at AU did. We were involved in every single one of those events. GAP points encourage greek members to get involved with the University. It is one of the best aspects of greek life. Maybe you did not quite understand all the responsibilities involved with becoming a member of greek life.

Another thing Perry failed to mention was that he was a president of a colony on campus. This means that it is a fraternity (or sorority) attempting to create a new chapter on campus. I am not even sure if colonies are included an official part of greek life. (See how I admit I am unsure rather than blatantly asserting an untrue statement). Also Mr. Perry, there is one more thing I must correct you on; Harvard University not only has a greek life, it has a chapter of Delta Gamma there.

There are many great contributions greek life adds to this campus. To disparage those efforts with incorrect, hurtful stereotypes will do nothing but create a divide on this campus when a need for unification is so apparent. AU needs a community. Don't insult the students who take on that great responsibility when you admittedly cannot handle the challenge.

Kerry Ann Cooney is a sophomore in the School of International Service.