Democrats should think 'equality,' not 'swing states'

"John Kerry and I personally believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. However, we realize that there are benefits that only the federal government can give, such as joint filing status and social security survivor benefits. That's why we support allowing all couples to be married."

Or

"I agree with Vice President Cheney. Education is important for us to combat the AIDS epidemic. That's why Senator Kerry and I both support comprehensive sexual education, covering all types of behavior, not just the abstinence-only education that the Republicans advocate."

If John Edwards had said either of these, millions of Americans who believe in equal rights would have stood up and cheered. Instead, the only sound I heard was thousands and thousands of closet doors slamming shut, a muffled cry as countless Americans are discriminated against yet again, and the fact that Edwards would stoop to use a child's sexual identity against their father.

This is in stark contrast to the celebration of National Coming Out Week. This week is a great opportunity for the gay and lesbian community to celebrate the successes that have been made over the past 35 years in American society. We have proved that inclusion works! Anita Bryant, Jerry Falwell and the reactionary agenda of the religious right has become marginalized. In my short 22 years of existence on this small planet, it is amazing to see the changes that have developed in our society. Couples of both orientations can walk down the street sharing small signs of affection, and couples in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts are now able to enjoy life as legally sanctioned couple. Shouldn't all Americans enjoy these rights and equality?

The Stonewall Democrats support their party's candidate and say that anyone who cares about gay rights should vote for Kerry, since Bush supported a federal amendment against gay marriage. It doesn't take a lot of courage to say that they disagree with this administration. It would take courage, however, to stand up for what is right for all Americans: equality.

I can only think what would have happened if the party had nominated a Howard Dean who stood up for equal rights, or if Kerry picked Dick Gephardt. Both have stood staunchly in defense of equality. Perhaps instead of the Democratic party selling out gays and lesbians, ala "don't ask, don't tell," for a few votes in the precious red states, we may have had a serious debate about ending the second-class status of Americans who just happen to differ in one aspect of who they are.

The community has two choices. We can have direct and visible oppression by the Bush administration, and have all Americans realize the plight of their family, friends and coworkers. Or we can have four years of being allowed to sit at the children's table, be fed scraps by Kerry and Edwards, and have Americans think the problems have been solved. Give me oppression Americans can fight and mobilize against.

P. William Brusoe is a Ph.D. student in the School of Public Affairs.