Library improves, but still needs support

The new improvements to Bender Library are much appreciated, but the library is still known as one of AU's biggest weaknesses. The Princeton Review lists Bender Library as the 18th worst in the country, in a ranking of 357 colleges.

The library's book selection is outdated, and students struggle to find what they need. Certain genres, such as literature, seem to be lacking more than others.

AU's solution has been the Washington Research Library Consortium, which allows students to check out materials from other schools like George Washington and Georgetown universities. This is a great option, but no substitute for AU having the books in its own library.

Although the library is generally not considered to be up to par with the rest of the University, the library staff is fantastic and extremely helpful. Students who actually ask for help, especially from the reference librarians, have better luck finding what they need.

Students seem unaware of the resources available to them at the library and, when hearing that it's an awful place, never even take the time to go. The databases are excellent and there are very helpful books. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a librarian to be able to find them.

The library is also open longer than the other libraries in the consortium, and the staff does an excellent job working with what they have.

Overall, the library just needs more funding, and AU should make improving it a priority.