Letter to the Editor: Chaplains unite to condemn vandalism

Dear Editor:

As the chaplains of the interfaith community in the KSLC who promote tolerance and understanding, we are distressed and angered by the recent attack on the Muslim Prayer Room in the lower level of the Center. We join together in condemning these acts of vandalism perpetrated against our Muslim brothers and sisters in their sacred space of worship and prayer.

The hallmark of the KSLC is and will continue to be hospitality and welcome to people of all faiths. We are saddened by the fact that the terrible violence of Sept. 11, 2001, inflicted on innocents in this country has not taken us all as a human community on a journey toward reflection and reconciliation, but rather to another misguided act of anger.

While we strongly condemn these acts, we also want the person or persons who violated the sanctity of these premises to know that they are in our prayers as they wrestle with their own consciences. We continue to steadfastly offer our support and solidarity to the Muslim community and pledge ourselves to continue working to ensure that this building remains a place open to all for prayer, worship and the work of expanding peace, justice and reconciliation at AU and around the world.

University Chaplain Joseph Eldridge Tarek Abou-Ghazala, Muslim Chaplain Cito Cruz, Global Friends Chaplain Rabbi Kenneth Cohen, Hillel Director/Jewish Chaplain Donna Denize, Baha'i Chaplain Revs. Michael and Jennifer Godzwa, Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship Chaplain Charles 'Mitch' Gore, Presbyterian Chaplain Fr. William Gurnee, Catholic Chaplain Marinetta Hjort, Baptist Chaplain Charlotte Jones-Carroll, Unitarian Universalist Co-Chaplain Ginger Luke, Unitarian Universalist Co-Chaplain Tom Omholt, Lutheran Chaplain Amit Pandya, Quaker Representative Pandit Vishnu Ramphal, Hindu Vedic Chaplain Dan Rogers, Latter-Day Saints Area Coordinator Mark Schaefer, United Methodist Chaplain Carolyn Seaton, Episcopal Chaplain Dr. Karin Thornton, Associate Catholic Chaplain Bhante Katugastota Uparatana, Buddhist Chaplain Jim Weaver, United Church of Christ Chaplain