Letter from the Editor

Hello, AU community, and welcome back to school. This is Intro to The Eagle 101. Because new and returning students have approached me with questions about The Eagle I am writing this in response to encourage full disclosure and connectedness between The Eagle and its readers.

The Eagle, AU's student newspaper since 1925, is completely editorially independent - an independent voice. The University cannot censor The Eagle's content in any way or punish Eagle staff members for content published in The Eagle.

AU does provide, and The Eagle consults, three faculty advisors, SOC journalism professor Amy Eisman, visual media professor Bill Gentile and Student Activities Assistant Director Dana Williams-Johnson for guidance. The Eagle staff may use or disregard their advice or end the relationship.

The Eagle operates out of Mary Graydon Center 252, a space that AU provides free of rent, also not charging the newspaper for utilities.

The Eagle has a financial account with the University. The Eagle deposits money that it makes through advertising sales and subscriptions into this account. The Eagle does not receive money from the Student Activities Fee, AU Club Council, Student Confederation or Media Board. However, The Eagle does have a line of credit with Student Activities that allows the newspaper to spend approximately $100,000 with the understanding that The Eagle will make up this much or more through advertising sales and deposit it over the course of the year. Thus, The Eagle is not financially independent.

The Eagle's expenditures include printing costs, office supplies, computers, software and stipends for some editors. For most editors the stipend works out to be less than $1 per hour, based on the amount of time they commit.

Questions regarding The Eagle can be directed to Editor@TheEagleOnline.com or x1402. Also, The Eagle staff always encourages readers to submit letters to the editor to Edpage@TheEagleOnline.com.

-Anne Godlasky, Editor in Chief