Gay Republicans, Democrats find common ground in '04 election debate

Tuesday night the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Ally Resource Center hosted a debate between national executive director of Stonewall Democrats Dave Noble and political director of the Log Cabin Republicans Christopher Baron who found some common ground.

Baron said that this is the first time the Log Cabin Republicans are not backing a Republican presidential candidate.

"It was a gut check when the president came out in support of the Federal Marriage Act," said Baron. "Since then the Log Cabin's membership has doubled."

In 1994, 40 percent of gays and lesbians voted Republican, Baron said.

"It is not an oxymoron to be gay and Republican," he said.

When the discussion shifted to the election, a student asked how voters can vote for Kerry when he would still allow states to ban gay marriage.

"I'm here to say Bush is the devil, and Kerry is someone that can sit with you at the table," Noble said.

Baron also said Kerry was a better candidate.

"Is Kerry better then Bush on GLBTA issues? Absolutely," he said.

Noble explained that with young voters voting the election could be swung this year, which is why the Stonewall Democrats' current mission is to recruit young voters, rather than traditional voters.

On the issue of abortion, the Log Cabin Republicans have no official stance on abortion and Baron preferred not to comment on his own personal stance, he said.

"We're not living in some fantasy world where we can flush all the evangelists out tomorrow," Baron said.

Though the Stonewall Democrats and the Log Cabin Republicans found common ground on GLBTA issues, they still had several differences.

A student asked both candidates on their thoughts of deliberate outing of political candidates.

"I think it's pointless, but if it's someone oppressing GLBTA people, then it becomes any means necessary," said Noble.

However, Baron disagreed.

"I haven't found anyone who thinks this is a good idea," he said.

However, when asked if they disagreed with each other, their responses were amicable.

"In the past, we worked on attacking the Republicans. It was a mistake to go after each other," said Noble.

Baron said he'd like them to be friendly.

"I'd like to believe we can agree, but we are partisan organizations," said Baron.