Our Take: Crisis killers

In the wake of the Madrid bombings, The Eagle would like to comment on AU Abroad's overseas emergency procedures. First, we are happy to know that emergency procedures have been in place for some time - long before the Madrid bombings - and that every student who studies abroad receives an emergency contact list and an outline of emergency procedures. Although the plans are flexible, this does not mean chaos will break loose if they ever need to be implemented; rather, the plans are open enough to utilize the site-specific program director's judgment on each crisis.

While we are happy to see that plans are in place, we'd like to see AU spread the word more visibly. AU has always had problems communicating with students, and this case is no different. Before students leave for their study-abroad home, they should know what the plans are and where to find them. A good way to make sure this happens is to post the plans on AU Abroad's Web site. This way, every student could access the plans, including prospective travelers who may be worried about security risks in other countries.

The plans also need to be updated frequently, and study-abroad students need to be provided with updated copies. While a general outline may be valid for several years, conditions can change quickly. AU Abroad currently checks with the State Department and a private risk-assessment firm to keep its procedures updated and should continue to do so. Regular updates on the AU Abroad Web site would also help to ensure that both students and their parents feel secure. If AU Abroad constantly updates and reviews its plans and keeps in touch with students, the chance of mishandling a crisis will be slim.