Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

We'd all like to believe that domestic violence and sexual assault happen somewhere far away to some faceless, nameless person we will never have to meet. We may be willing to admit that these problems exist, but to someone we know and care about? On our very campus? Impossible. Unfortunately, this is not true. Sexual assault and domestic violence happen at too high a rate for almost anyone - yes, even you - to not be affected. By the time you finish reading this, one to two women will be raped in the United States. By the sheer fact that you have at least four women in your life that you care about, statistically speaking, you will know someone who has had or will have an experience with sexual assault. It's scary and unfair and it's time we all did something about it. For the first time ever on the AU campus, we will be holding "Take Back the Night." "Take Back the Night" is a chance for all of us to take a stand against rape and relationship violence and to recognize that it happens and is happening to the people we love. We will march, have a candlelight vigil and have testimonials of survivors willing to come forward and, whether anonymously or not, share their experiences.

Join our fight against sexual assault and domestic violence. Help us "Take Back the Night" and not stand for these crimes to be committed against the ones that we love any longer. To register as a walk participant or discuss how your office, department or organization would like to participate in this event, contact Melva L. Jones, Program Coordinator, Multicultural Affairs at mjones@american.edu or 202-885-3651.

Jessica Hollander Freshman, CAS

Dear Editor,

I had a chance to look through your online newspaper today and wanted you to know that I enjoyed what I saw. I'm only sorry that I haven't looked sooner! Congratulations to you and your staff for a great publication - and best wishes to those who will follow in your footsteps - a difficult job to be sure.

Cheryl Ann (Ryan) Ganci Minnetonka, Minn.