Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor:

In his April 1 column, Josh Kraushaar argues that Jewish Americans may "swing right" and support President Bush's reelection campaign because the president has been an outspoken friend of Israel. While it is true that Bush and his fellow Republicans have steadfastly supported the Middle East's lone democracy, it should be noted that the Democratic Party is also strongly committed to Israel and its security. Resolutions of support for Israel regularly pass through both the House and Senate with overwhelming, bipartisan support. (One recent Senate resolution on "solidarity with the State of Israel" garnered 94 votes, while four other Senators were simply not present). And when it comes to the November election, it's hard to argue that this is an issue on which Bush and Sen. John Kerry disagree. The Democratic candidate's Web page declares that a Kerry administration would "maintain a steady policy of friendship and support for Israel ... our most important ally in the quest for peace." So, while it remains to be seen how Jewish Americans will vote in the upcoming election, Kraushaar can rest assured that the U.S.-Israel relationship will continue to benefit both countries for many years to come.

Jason Benkendorf Senior, SPA