Fadel Soliman: Don't judge me unfairly

I would like to thank The Eagle for bringing to my attention the translated passages from a book I had never read or distributed. This book was written in the 1970s immediately after the war between the Arabs and the Israelis and the catastrophic burning of Al-Aqsa mosque. That is approximately 30 years before I became a member of WAMY-USA [World Assembly of Muslim Youth].

I read all the books from WAMY that I distribute. WAMY produces hundreds of publications that educate people about the teachings of Islam. However, like many members of the numerous other organizations in this world and the materials they publish, it does not mean that I agree with everything that WAMY publishes.

One of the major reasons that prompted me to join WAMY three years ago is the organization's charitable work in various parts of the world. For example, last year WAMY built 44 schools and dug 921 water wells in Africa and other places in the world that are stricken by poverty. Another major reason is that the organization has allowed me to do the following:

Explain the truth about Islam and Muslims.

Educate the Muslim youth about the characteristics of a true Muslim, such as being peaceful, forgiving and merciful.

Counsel youths who encounter problems in their lives and help them overcome those problems.

Help Muslim and non-Muslim students on campus in their studies about Islam.

As I have repeatedly stated on this campus and at other places throughout the United States, I will not be a good Muslim if I do not respect and cherish the teachings and prophets of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Thus, I do not believe that Muslims should have problems with Jews and Christians. And as I always tell Muslim students, if the situation in Palestine would have been the opposite, it would be every Muslim's duty to support the Jews in their struggle for their rights.

I have always reached out to members of other faiths and worked with them. I have participated in numerous interfaith activities on and off campus. One of my dearest friends from my school days is Jewish.

My father was a Rotarian. I was a member of the Interact, and my wife was a member of the Roteract, which are the organizations mentioned in the passages The Eagle translated. While it is not my duty to defend or disparage the book, it suffices to say that the passages are quite inaccurate.

I hope that my clarification meets your positive ear. And as members of a diverse community at American University, we need to focus on what is peaceful and positive.

As I do not hold every Jew responsible for what appears in the Rabbinic literature, I also hope that you do not hold every Muslim accountable for what is written by other Muslims, unless one promotes it.

After the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, our AU community suffered from alienation and fear of attacks. Muslim males had to escort Muslim females from the dormitories to their classes and back. It took us some time to get back to normalcy. I believe that the passages The Eagle has chosen to publish will give the impression to non-Muslims that all Muslim literature is divisive in nature, which is quite untrue.

During these two-and-a-half years, I have given hundreds of speeches, lectures and presentations on and off campus to Muslims and non-Muslims. I have never used the book in question. I only use authentic and thoroughly scrutinized sources.

I hope that The Eagle would reconsider its desire to publish these very inflammatory and potentially explosive materials. Our major task should be on helping to inspire harmony, tolerance and understanding within our AU community.