Bush stands firm against media pressure

President Bush's public address last evening during primetime can best be described as heart-wrenching. The president's usually casual, direct and uplifting exchanges with the press became a somber and labored display. Bush spoke for about an hour, encouraging the American people and our troops that his administration would continue to support its mission in Iraq with whatever funding or equipment is required. His dedication was evident and his purpose in leading our nation in the War on Terror reiterated as he declared, "freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom."

The president was well aware of how unsettling the news of the last few weeks has been to those at home. In no uncertain terms he named the enemy insurgents and made clear the injustice of their power grab. The murderous extremist cleric leading "illegal militias" in Fallujah is taking advantage of the instable condition inherent to reconstruction and the President pledged to halt his campaign of terror with due military force. He clarified that organized resistance to the reconstructive efforts of the United States is not evidence of general Iraqi distrust but only evidence of a few extremists working to take advantage of their own people in a time of weakened security.

Despite these new security threats, however, the United States will stand by its deadline to turn over governmental control to the Iraqi people. Though these Iraqi leaders will have complete administrative authority and control, they are not to be the final form of government in Iraq. In the interest of providing the Iraqi people with true freedom, they will soon elect their own democratic congress in free elections. The president also argued the good sense that all people are deserving and capable of enjoying freedom. He dismissed the preposterous claims that because of someone's culture or religion they are naturally averse to being free, and pledged full support to the Iraqis until they can fully manage themselves and have adjusted to their new government.

In face of these somber but encouraging words, the press commenced to drag the speaker from his premises. In 15 lengthy questions the press tried to extract a partisan message from the president and force him to discuss politics and his campaign plan for the upcoming election. Bush was not thrown by these devices. Meanwhile, poignantly stating an answer to the question, "Do you feel you've failed?" in not preventing the attacks of 9-11, he stated that that was for the American people to decide in November.