We need a change in security

While the action of the school and SC has been noted, it seems that there is still a large gap in the effort and credibility of the efforts to ensure safety on campus. Part of the problem is the lack of specifics.

Some concerned students, including me, have a plan of action and the resolve to see it implemented:

Proposal 1. We need a student security force on this campus. The concept of community policing is hardly new and has achieved considerable success in combating criminal activity. As it currently stands, at any given time, the Public Safety presence on campus is lacking. Officers comprise an insufficient deterrent to potential offenders. To solve this problem, Public Safety could be empowered to train and mentor interested students to serve in a volunteer policing unit. Obviously, these students would not be given the authorities and powers of a professional officer, but they could perform other vital functions: escorting students at night, particularly women who feel vulnerable, alerting their officer counterparts to suspicious activity, and diffusing petty conflicts among students. This neighborhood watch group would not focus on minor crimes but rather on serious offenses such as robbery, rape, and assault.

Proposal 2. Reorganize the executive branch. The position of campus security policy adviser should be established. The duties of this officeholder would be to meet with the director of Public Safety on a regular basis, provide student input, and serve as a liaison between student government leaders and the director.

Proposal 3. The fire alarms need effective detection systems. Currently, no real deterrent exists for those who maliciously pull fire alarms to send students into the freezing rain. Unless someone witnesses another person pull an alarm, the individuals will not get punished for committing a childish and possibly dangerous prank. In many high schools, sophisticated fire alarm detection systems, which use permanent ink to tag offenders, are in place. The school administrators are the only authorities equipped with a special solution to remove the ink. If we installed these detection systems, we would eliminate all phony fire alarms.

Proposal 4. We must demand that more security cameras be put in place. Yes, we have cameras in certain areas of campus. However, none are located at the points of vulnerability: the track where many students jog at night, the narrow entrance to the amphitheater outside Bender Arena, and so forth.

Proposal 5. We must promote a culture of vigilance and safety on campus. Like many other universities, Public Safety should host information sessions on campus security and possibly teach self-defense courses.

We do not pretend to have the silver bullet to deal with the security dilemma confronting American University. However, with these changes we hope to lay the foundations of a safer and more security-responsive campus.