Archbishop remembered at ceremony

More than 80 members of the AU community attended a campus ceremony last Wednesday to commemorate the life of El Salvador's Monsignor Oscar Romero.

Archbishop Romero, a well-known opponent of violence, was assassinated by the Salvadoran military. During the time, the small Central American country was involved in civil war.

Romero constantly denounced violence by rebels and the government.

Several members of the AU community participated in the ceremony, which was conducted in English and Spanish, and combined traditional Catholic religious services with personal reflections and Romero's famous quotes. The ceremony was followed by a luncheon of Central American cuisine.

Laura Peck, a United Methodist social justice intern, said that Romero had an effect on her life.

"Romero taught me how to do active theology," Peck said.

Peck said Romero had a wider effect for the Salvadoran people. "He lives in the hearts of those who bring the oppressor and the oppressed together in one passion," she said.

Helen Alatorre, assistant director of Multicultural Affairs, said Romero reminds her of "human rights advocates and civil rights leaders of history like Gandhi and Martin Luther King [Jr.]." She spoke of Romero's legacy and the condition of Latinos in the United States, particularly the Salvadoran community in D.C.

"I reflect on how the struggle continues for the Salvadoran people in this country with low wages, poverty and continued violence," Alatorre said.

"As Salvadore¤os continue their struggle in this country, I know it is difficult to sometimes remember the legacy of Romero," she added.

Margie Swedish, director of National Religious Task Force on Central America, said that Romero had a significant impact in the United States.

"1980 was the year that the faith communities in the U.S. came bounded together by the seal of martyrdom," she said.

University Chaplain Joe Eldridge said the University has been celebrating Romero's life for the past six years. Eldridge, who once met Romero personally in El Salvador, credits the Archbishop with influencing him.

"Monsignor Romero's witness [his public affirmation of faith] had a huge impact on my life," Eldridge said. "I was aware off his ability to speak the truth and of his power."

"The reason he was so revered by the people of El Salvador was because he spoke the truth, and when he spoke the people could identify themselves as the subjects of his sermons," he added.

"He called on the military to stop the oppression," he said.

At least half those in attendance were the University's cleaning staff, largely of Salvadoran descent. Sitting in the front rows, the Aramark workers took breaks to attend the Romero commemoration event.

One of the workers, Luis Urrutia, read a passage from The Bible from Matthew in Spanish.

"Most of the housekeeping staff has worked at AU for 10 to 15 years," Eldridge said. "They are very much a part of this community"