Our Take: McNair cares

After six sexual attacks last semester, Public Safety Director Colleen Carson left and the University began the search for a new director. Although details about her departure are unclear, many believe that after six attacks occurred in November, difficult questions about campus safety could only be answered by her departure.

About a week after Carson left, the University appointed Michael McNair as acting director. McNair's experience includes 32 years at the University of Maryland, where he started as a patrol officer and retired as deputy chief.

Currently, McNair is not serving in a permanent capacity and a committee is meeting throughout the year to determine the new director. This committee, which includes Dean of Students Faith Leonard, would do well to appoint McNair as Public Safety director.

Since McNair came to AU, Public Safety has been much more visible than it was during Carson's tenure. While many felt that Carson was simply a closed-door administrator, McNair has already established a presence that his predecessor never had.

During the week, McNair eats lunch with students in TDR and also holds meetings with students to discuss safety on campus. One of his most innovative measures is a map that students use to indicate the least safe parts of the main and Tenley campuses. He also plans to hold a "Meet the Chief" event later this year where students will be surveyed on campus safety. His latest improvement is the appointment of a public information officer, who can be contacted for news about safety on campus.

So far, The Eagle is very impressed with McNair and his plans for the future. The Eagle thinks that he's a very responsible man with innovative ideas who has already improved the atmosphere on campus by simply being an open administrator. Indeed, there are many administrators who can learn from McNair's tactics.

The Eagle believes that the committee would be wise to promote McNair from acting director to permanent director. He has the experience, good attitude and new ideas that will improve our campus atmosphere. Our campus has too many administrators and bureaucrats who aren't transparent or accessible. If McNair becomes the new director, The Eagle believes he can set a helpful example for the University.